vintagely garbed hill walking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
North of the southern wall.
Anyone up for the above? maybe with some wild/stealth camping thrown in, in the county durham/cumbria area?

I know it's not strictly bushcrafting so if the mods want to delete...?

m

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
There used to be a group called The Band of Historical Hillwalkers. They would meet for walks wearing only traditional kit made of natural materials, think hob nailed boots canvas wind tops and wool trousers etc.. Based down south though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Of course its bush crafting mate. Good idea. Be interesting to see how low you can get a hill rig weight with retro kit.

Sure I read that when they did reconstructions of George Mallory's Everest kit that the silk and tweed outfit was as light and warm as modern down and synthetic kit. I'm often out in the tweeds on the hill, formerly through work but more often by choice. Light and better moisture management that most modern kit.

hotchy

Jul 26, 2012
Aldeston in Mora
Anyone up for the above? maybe with some wild/stealth camping thrown in, in the county durham/cumbria area?

I know it's not strictly bushcrafting so if the mods want to delete...?

m
Dont need to do stealth camping cheif- you can use my woods/land, if walking in this area.. Great views, but you know how bleak it can get around here-Sure you want to use old stuff.
W

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
North of the southern wall.
how do Hotchy,
I may take you up on that ;) me and the father in law already had a wild camp up on the moor a month or 2 ago. I'm not really into new/skin tight day glo stuff tbh, see enough of it walk by the front gate all year round :yuck: ;) , the old things have more character/durability (unless you're a 68 VWbeetle, then you just rust and don't start! :tapedshut !)

m

hotchy

Jul 26, 2012
Aldeston in Mora
how do Hotchy,
I may take you up on that ;) me and the father in law already had a wild camp up on the moor a month or 2 ago. I'm not really into new/skin tight day glo stuff tbh, see enough of it walk by the front gate all year round :yuck: ;) , the old things have more character/durability (unless you're a 68 VWbeetle, then you just rust and don't start! :tapedshut !)

m

Ok matey, just shout, when you want to freeze:) There is 8/10 acres of wooded area, and about 2 acres of grass field( but exposed to north winds) that will freeze your cocklels. You will have Roe deer, red squirrels, owls, buzzards, kites etc to whatch /keepy you company.:cool:

w

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would love to own a good Norfolk Jacket/britches combo for my bushy activities - extremely practical but a tad expensive these days!
As it is I much prefer natural material - wool, leather, cotton, linen - as I find they are more comfortable than synthetics, work well and last an age. The only drawbacks I can find are that they tend to be a bit heavier and a lot more expensive than modern tat!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE