Viking Long Boat (school Project) HELP!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Does anyone know or has anyone built a mini viking long ship my 10 year old lad has decided to do this as part of his project on settlers and invaders.

He wants my help and we initially thought to cut a coke bottle in half and mod it up but he now thinks it needs to be more realistic:eek:! I have googles but cannot come up with anything. He's really keen and has thrown himself into Romans we were at Vindolanda last week and especially the Vikings.

So has anyone already done this with their kids or perhaps know of any resources I could look at.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Andy

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Thats not a bad idea at all David. It needs to float so do you reckon a couple of coats of PVA might do it? We have got the sail made and some really nice shields which he is colouring in as we speak. Just need to sort out a figure head then.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Give Wayland a shout Andy, he's our resident Viking and he does loads of stuff with schools so should have a few cards up his sleeve.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I thought PVA was water soluble. Maybe you could paint it instead. Please get some pictures of the project though, it'll be fun to see what gets made!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wayland's definitely the best person to ask, though I think he's working away from home just now ( or at least very shortly)

Somewhere I have cut out and build your own Viking longship cards. They're on A4 iiirc.
If the pieces were cut out, then laminated, they could be stuck together with sellotape.
Wouldn't last for all that long but it'd work for a wee while.

I'll see what I can find.

I have loads of Viking kit around if that's of any help ?
How about a look at the Viking reenactors sites ?
http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/

cheers,
Toddy

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Excellent info thanks folks. It does not have to float long it has to cover a distance of 2 mtrs powered by a fan blowing the sail.

Toddy those cut out and Laminate cards sound just the job only thing is I need to build it with him by Friday:eek:

It irks me when they come up with a good project and then give such little time to do it.

I have located some rather sturdy cardboard and have cut some to go with what I hope will look like a clinker built design so he went of to bed early armend with a staple gun so will see what arrives at the breakfast table on the morrow!!

With this one though it will de keeping it dry enough without it sinking I was wondering if spray paint might do the job car type stuff??? he wants it to be brown so it still looks wooden.

His parting shot before bed was why could I not make one out of Lolly sticks!!! ulterior motive there me thinks.

Thanks one more for all this so far.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you have time to get to a art/ craft shop ?

The stuff you want is A4 sheets of foamies. It's called Eva foam or the like. It costs about a £ a sheet and they have brown.
It's like a rubbery polystyrene sheet. Cuts with scissors, glues and staples well and it's waterproof :D

It's this stuff on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOP-QUALITY-E...K_Crafts_CraftingPaper_EH?hash=item3caa791ee1

Could be cut into strips and stapled at the ends fold over a prow and a keel and staple those on (it stitches too) stick a bamboo skewer into some plasticine or somesuch and attach a sail.
Wee circles coloured in and split pins used for the boss and attachment to the gunnels :D
Sorted..............if you can get the foamy stuff.

Or......you could use birch bark strips, maybe ?

Best of luck with it :D

cheers,
M

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Card and PVA will work fine, just use the waterproof PVA (sold for laminate flooring;)).

I used to make RC model boats years ago and waterproof PVA is ok. Instead of using card you can buy Birch ply from model shops it's usually 0.8mm thick and comes in 5' x 1' sheets for about £7 ish.

Never made a Viking long ship though:eek:

Richard

P.S. you might also find the planks aren't straight but slightly curved/tapered narrower at the ends and fatter in the middle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE