videos - Forging a Bearded Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
A couple of years ago, Ashley from Natural Bushcraft came to film me making an axe. Life, work and the universe (I expect) got in the way of the editing, but it has finally been finished and posted up on his youtube channel.

Ash has done a wonderful job of the videos and a big thank you to him for his work I'ts interesting watching myself making something like this. Some of the ways I do things have changed a bit in that time, as has the workshop itself (and new toys held within)

So, here it is, Hand Forging a Bearded Axe...

[video=youtube;zX7R3hdW-Fs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX7R3hdW-Fs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;cQiXgUhwifg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQiXgUhwifg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

wheniwake

Mar 28, 2015
Falkirk
Couldn't imagine that I would have watched that, I didn't enjoy it that much that I had to watch part 2 :D Fascinating to watch, the music fitted well!
I am now telling myself that I need one of those axes, beautiful work.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com

I kinda burned out on axes over the winter, so am having a rest from them for a few months. But there will be some more sexy beards coming along in the summer sometime I expect

I'm having computer issues (what's new there?!), so I haven't got any sound. I'm sure Ash has picked some very fine music for it though :) His vids are always very good

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Excellent films Dave (and well done to Ash). A pleasure to watch base materials become fine tools when in the hands of a craftsman.

K

Yeh, as an owner of one of DB's axes [a little hawk] it was enjoyable watching him at work. I have some idea of how mine was made now, and feel a little bit richer this morning for watching it.....:D

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Nice work Dave! I must admit when I first started watching I thought "shall I just skip to the end result" but I found myself watching every second and not ony that but part 2 as well.

being a complete numb nut, what is the white powder you put on the metal when forging it?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the white powder is Borax. It is used as a flux when firewelding to keep oxygen (and thus scale) from the metal and making the weld more likely. I don't use much of it normally, but I couldn't find my salt shaker that day!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I enjoyed the vid'. :)

Is there a learned or taught measurement of how much 'edge steel'.. to sandwich in the head? And is only the blade/edge made of that steel because of the costs of better steel being uneconomic to create the whole head with it?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
no learned or specific amount of steel is used, but it is wise to have the edge extending at least an inch into the finished head to give a long service life. Many old axes made this way would be re-steeled when the original edge had been worn through.

I inlay/overlay steel edges into axes for four reasons:
1) I can use better grades of edge steel than I can buy in axe sized lumps (mostly in the UK you can only get 0.5C steels in big enough lumps, but higher C grades only in sheet/bar form)
2) The bulk of the work is done on soft mild steel, so is easier to move by hand than a big lump of harder steel would be
3) I can pick up odd shapes or sized pieces of mild from a local fabricator or scrappy, rather than having to buy 6m lengths of every size I might use
4) some shapes/forms of axe are easier to make by welding than they would be by forging from a solid lump (such as a large T-axe or the lightweight 'trade axe' hawks made by wrapping a mild steel strip and welding an edge in)

Mar 9, 2016
Neath South Wales
New to the forum , sooooo trawling around and came across this , and I've sat here mesmerised .
To see all the craftsmans work that goes in to creating an axe is a true pleasure to watch .
Congratulations to the film maker as well beautifully filmed no pointless voice over and a cracking choice of music .
I doth my cap to you .
You sir are an artist .

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
thanks guys :) nice to see people are still watching this video. I'll have to try and get Ash (the chap who did the filming and editing for me) to come and do another sometime!

I blacken the handle for several reasons. The scorched surface gives a nice texture without creating sharp areas or splinter; it also burns of any small splinters that might be left from carving (such as lifted grain); but mostly it's coz I like the look of it! Also, I am ALWAYS filthy, so a plain ash handle doesn't stay clean for long when I have them in my hands ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE