Victorinox mods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
EDIT, just realised its an alox,,, silly me.... I would imagine it would still be a simple enough job to dremil off the rivets heads, allowing the removal of tools. Sorry I can't be of further help.

Hey. I am guessing you want to remove said tools from the knife, and not add any others right? If so, it is easy to remove the plastic scales, by gently prising off. Be aware though, that they probably wont go back on securely afterwards, so you'll need to glue them, or just replace with nice wooden ones, again a very simple diy project.
The tool removal will be a case of filing off the rivets, remove the tool in question and replace the rivet. It is also a simple diy tast to fashion new rivets too. Having never removed a rivet from a sak, I can't say if it would need a spacer instead of the tool, or if the rivet has a thicker central diameter, which would allow the metal frame to sit square and spaced correctly apart for the remaining tools.

Please bear in mind I've only tried running this through my mind, as to what would be involved. I've only ever replaced the plastic scales on a couple of my own saks. Which is well worth the effort.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I think the easiest would be to grind off the unwanted tool.
What is an Alox Bushcrafter? I looked on their site and can not find it?

Just a nosey question, why do ou want to get rid of said tool?

Just an idea: Instead of removing it, and probably buggering up the knife, you can regrind it to a tool you can use with a Ferrocerium rod.

To remove the scales, you need to either grind off, or drill out the rivets. Very tricky I imagine..

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Just a nosey question, why do ou want to get rid of said tool?

Just an idea: Instead of removing it, and probably buggering up the knife, you can regrind it to a tool you can use with a Ferrocerium rod.

I'm with you in the 'why?' bit - not sure you'll find the cap-lifter anywhere near hard enough to get a descent spark from a ferro-rod to be honest.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
The Bushcrafter isn't an official Victorinox model - it's a Farmer (large blade, awl, can opener, bottle opener and woodsaw) with the opener layer removed.

There's a guy on line called Swiss Bianco who sells them with different colour scales with Victorinox's blessing - I think he has an 'in' with them.

Drilling out the pins without wrecking the scales is possible especially if you have access to a pillar drill. I've done it with a centre punch and cordless drill but you have to take care.

As you're removing a layer you can reuse the nickle silver pins and, if you mask off the scales, peening them back isn't too onerous provided you take your time.

You might find a modder willing to help you on multitool.org

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
So, I take it, the reason for doing it is to just thin down the knife a little?
I guess so. Though there is a lot of interest in modded SAKs - I made myself a Bushcrafter because I had a spare Farmer and wanted some practise with my peening skills. I carry it occasionally because its a tasty bit of kit, but prefer the Farmer for the opener layer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE