Venture into new woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
Today I thought I'd have a venture into some new woodlands I've seen on passing. There was no sights saying it was private or anything so I thought let's go have a look, have some dinner and a brew there.
me the lad and the dog went, we parked the car up had a short walk and entered, we wasn't in that long perhaps half an hour or so just getting the brew stuff out when we heard a shot from a shot gun. I shouted the lad over and whistled the dog over loudly so whoever was shooting could hear me and headed out. The guy walked round and showed me his certifications told me it was private land and was used for a shoot. I wasn't pleased and pointed out that there was no signs saying it was private and it could have been fatal as I had my 8 year old with me , he said there was but someone had taken it down and they was meaning to get another one in its place. Anyhow to lighten the mood he let the lad have a hold of his unloaded gun then whilst holding it himself have a shot at a old stump witch any 8 year old would be very exited about. ( weather it's right or wrong im unsure about ) anyway at least we got out for I bit even if it was only for a hour or so and I'm very concerned about the lack of warning there.who would I contact about getting I sign put up before someone does get injured ? Anyhow hope you like the pics
ac51da5e909675be573b40c49c6ebef1.jpg

a7c0a083b00c91ec626489b8915772bc.jpg

6d6b705601ac98b63e627725cc2f4b1a.jpg

D6C834C3-ADA8-456A-97DE-31E521A2ED75.jpg

cc9f35998a3b7061c937e312cfd92f0e.jpg

Last edited:

adbirdy

Oct 12, 2005
West Midlands
All woods belong to someone, surely you should seek the landowners permission before entering any woodland. How would you feel if people came into your private grounds intending to light fires without first asking permission.
You were extremely lucky to meet an such an accomodating shooter, I know of several gamekeepers who would not have been so polite to say the least, on finding someone wandering round in their woods.
In future you should always get permission before entering any woods whether there are signs or not.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks like a nice day out with your lad.

For what its worth I'd recommend getting an OS map of your area. It will show any public rights of way.

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
Cheers Mick , was a bit unsure about putting it up with what happened but glad I did as next time I've learned to check with a map to be 100% sure. (Cheers copper head)

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
It always surprises me that people think they can tresspass on private property, chop wood, light fires and build structures and then get annoyed when they are asked to leave. Not talking specifically about the OP but a lot of posts on this site.
As Adbirdy said all woods / fields belong to someone and they do not have to put signs up.
We were lucky not to be badly injured not long ago when some idiot was walking dogs on the racehorse gallops miles away from any footpath.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
As there was no signs I thought they were public as the ones I usually go in

It's not usual to put up signs and frankly when you do see them it looks terrible. Public land is usually marked in some way, either with a sign or on a map, so I'd assume private unless otherwise informed. It's also not unusual for some people to remove private signs.:rolleyes:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
He wasn't lighting fires etc or any of the other dreadful things listed. At worst he was trespassing. No big deal. For a laugh try and find out who owns a particular bit of nondescript woodland to ask permission anyway. But, he and the boy behaved well and the shooter was nice so what is the problem?

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
Yeh cheers , we just wanted a change of scenery , lesson learned and my boy got to have a shoot at a shot gun. I know what to do next time

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Too many people too small an island. Lets open up the land from the Gentry eh and share with the Peasants? Oh I forgot the guv'ment would much rather this Father teach his young son the benefits of scrounging off the state and how to master the technique of underage drinking and how to get away scott free with loutish behavior in our glorious town centers festooned with 24 hour binge drinking rather than going for a walk in god forbid someone else's wood:rolleyes:

Sorry for the side track and good on you for getting out there with your son who looked thrilled to be there and will remember these trips with his Dad a long time:cool:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Looks like a good day out. Woodland is there for exploring and at worst you could get asked to move on by the landowner. +1 to getting an OS map.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE