Ventile gaiters?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I have an extremely talented sewing friend, who makes outdoorsie stuff. And I was thinking, I could use some gaitors. And then I thought others might too. So, I thought I'd speak to my friend about possibly making gaitors. Ventile was the obvious choice as it's really tough and fireproof. And breathable. The design would probably be quite simple, to keep costs down. If anyone had any interest or ideas about the design, just post.

I was reckoning an extra hard wearing ventile grade (I think it's L34?) as I really use my gear. A tube of ventile with drawstrings top and bottom that could tuck inside to avoid snagging? If it had no zip that'd be one less part to fail and as well as that it imporves weatherproofness.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ventile is expensive, and if a fold or crease is subjected to constant wear it will hole.
Gaiters are by their very nature expected to take the rough stuff.
When field working I wear gaiters all day long, the idea of having more breathable fabric appeals but I have to be honest, no zips is a nono since they are awkward enough to get on and off as it, let alone trying it when wearing muddy boots and it's freeezing cold with torrential rain too.
I've been wearing heavy weight goretex ones recently, and though they're less sweaty, they aren't lasting as long as the dead basic Wynnster ones that cost well under a tenner a pair.

cheers,
Toddy

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
In my opinion ventile isnt that tough and does rip easily,
One of the main reasons bushcrafters like it is that it doesnt melt if an ember falls onto it unlike other synthetic garments gortex ect, and i havent seen it writen anywere that it is flame proof

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have an old canvas pair that have lasted twenty+ years and do a great job.

I'll be gutted when they finally wear out cos I don't know where I'll find any like them..

I've tried the army ones but unless you've got legs like pipe cleaners you'll be luck to find any that fit.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent link :cool:
My only quibble with that pattern is the velcro.......tbh I tried it on a pair and it was such a bother :( Didn't want to close where I wanted it to, fastened itself to my socks, and to any loose bramble, bracken or heather I walked through......big toothed plastic zips or lace ups beat it hands down.

cheers,
Toddy

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Too true, I have enough trouble with the side velcros of my windproof army trousers.

I'm going to cannibilize zips from some army gaiters which don't fit my chunky calves.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Interesting to see the views on velcro, i have used yeti gaitors for years now and have never found the velcro to be a problem. The closure is at the front of the yeti so i dont know if that makes a difference?

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
TBH I've been debating it.

The zips will be a chore to install and velcro much easier. It's possible that since the gaiters will fit me properly for a change I won't be forcing them closed and the velcro might not be a problem.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I haven't tried the front fastening with velcro......might make a difference ........I have problems because I'm small and all too often the front of the gaiter is hanging loose because the foot part is too long and doesn't hook onto my laces properly.

If you use the new waterproof zips they'll go in easier than the velcro and won't need covering flaps.......on the other hand, they aren't cheap.

Sorry Fishy1 we've kind of hi-jacked your thread :eek: Ah well, at least it's informative......are you having second thoughts on the pattern you're going to use?

cheers,
Toddy

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I loath Velcro.

I have lost count of the garments I have looked at and then discarded because of the vile stuff.

The few items I have with it on are clogged with wool, fluff and hair. It seems to stick to everything except what it's supposed to and the loops are perfect for catching those loose ends of skin that form on your fingers when it's cold and wet.

Spawn of Beelzebub......:cussing:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I made a pair that laced, but it was such a footer fitting the tongue and eyelets that the next pair I tried the loop lacing that's used on tents....I came to the conclusion that puttees were probably better.
Right now I'm making sets of the over the knee white gaiters for Redcoat Uniforms. These button up the outside leg and are surprisingly effective. There's a buckled leather strap goes under the foot and another that fastens at the top of the calf. If the top one was made the cutting line and a channel made there for either elastic or a drawcord, this pattern would probably work very well.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE