Venison Jerky Recipes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Hi All,

as the title states, looking for some venison jerky recipes.

The freezer is just too small!!:rolleyes:

I will be buying ingredients tomorrow morning on the way to work, and probably be making jerky for the next two days,
so any nice ones to try would be great!

thanks in advance,

Atb

Stephen

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
1. Are you working with whole meat or ground meat?
2. There are 40,000+ jerky recipes on the internet.
3. How do you propose to dry the meat?

I use the Hi Mountain cure and a 1/1 mix of Hi Mountain Original and the Pepper seasoning with ground bison meat.
I use a Cabela's Jerky pistol which squirts 17' x 1/2" from 1lb ground meat.
I dry that is a low oven, maybe 250F over night.
After drying 10lbs, I bag and freeze that. It "freezer-burns" so badly, so much more water is sucked out and condensed as ice
that I get a really dry product which takes some simmering in soup to reconstitute.
All=day chewy stick.

If you are starting by scratch.
Worcestershire sauce. Soya sauce. Fresh ground black pepper, Seasoned salt. Probably sage and thyme for venison.
For bison, I'd use Rosemary and lots of onion powder and pepper.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Hey RV,

thanks for the response, working with whole meat strips in a conventional oven as usual.

apologies, the title should read, "Jerky seasoning/ marinade recipes"!

I'v already got a good bit in various marinades or herb mixes, including Worcester/soy/vinegar mix, one of my faves, Lol!

just looking to see if any members have there own personal preferences or suggestions, unfortunetly doing it on the small scale so don't have any specific jerky making bits.:(

interesting use of the freezer, didn't know that. Unfortunately the other two legs are already in there so between that and the other standard freezer bits there's just no room left!, hence the jerky.

atb
Ste

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
A really great marinade for the venison is to mix equal parts of Lingham's sweet chilli sauce, Hoi Sin sauce and cider vinegar; I ***** the meat all over with the tip of a very sharp knife, then marinade for 24 hrs before drying the meat.

The left-over marinade makes a great base for a sauce or gravy for that night's dinner, too.............Waste not want not, eh?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Baelfore & Macaroon: thanks for the home-made recipes. Frankly tired of the Hi Mountain stuff that I buy.
I'm using bison burger. When I buy a side, I get the butcher to cut steaks and roasts and all the rest >> burger (lots of it!)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In North America, jerky is a general term for dried meat. Biltong is African?
Perhaps the exception is pemmican, due in part to the high fat content and the historical importance.

Hudson's Bay Company records show that the fur trading post known as Rocky Mountain House
prepared their quota of bison pemmican, 44,000lbs of it, in just 9 days.

So I made some as I have lots of bison. Dried smoked meat pounded up.
Mixed with rendered bison backstrap fat (the best) as the Cree elders taught me.
I don't like it. As burgoo, I suppose so but even heated, it's gross.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I guess what I call burger is what you call mince.

Old guy taught me the trick for using burger for jerky.
Thaw and weigh the meat. Be pretty careful with the right amount of cure
and the right amount of seasoning mix. Wet or dry, whatever you like.
Put on a pair of disposable vinyl gloves and start squishing and stirring and mixing everything together.

You notice how granular burger/mince is to begin with?
Keep mashing the mix around with your hands. Keep going and going.
All of a sudden, you will see and feel the meat texture change back to the original fiber.
Now you're really ready for whatever drying process you use.
I really like the Cabela's Jerky pistol, easy to load, control and clean, holds about 16oz at a time.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
In North America, jerky is a general term for dried meat. Biltong is African?
Perhaps the exception is pemmican, due in part to the high fat content and the historical importance.

Hudson's Bay Company records show that the fur trading post known as Rocky Mountain House
prepared their quota of bison pemmican, 44,000lbs of it, in just 9 days.

So I made some as I have lots of bison. Dried smoked meat pounded up.
Mixed with rendered bison backstrap fat (the best) as the Cree elders taught me.
I don't like it. As burgoo, I suppose so but even heated, it's gross.

I don't understand the question you asked sorry?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't understand the question you asked sorry?

We don't have biltong in North America (or at least nt by that name) Is it African in origin? And how is it different from jerky?

Here jerky just means dried any meat. Most commonly thin sliced strips but sometimes ground meat formed into thin strips and dried.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Wikipedia is my friend. Biltong is dried cured meat which originated in South Africa.
I'll guess that wildebeest biltong is the same thing as bison jerky made with round meat,
as opposed to burger/mince.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Here's a dry rub for game such as venison or bison. Bison is local, organic, cheap and therefore plentiful.

1tbs chili powder, as hot as you like it
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp each paprika, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & black pepper.

Plan A: bounce a couple pounds of meat strips around in a bag with this, let it sit for an hour and dry.

Plan B. add 1/2C corn oil (best with bison, EVO would do)
Stir some into 2C each onion slices, red & green pepper strips.
Stir some into 1-2lbs meat strips to sit for an hour.
Stir fry the onion & peppers, reserve. Start to stir fry the meat, add back the peppers & onions.
Serve as fajitas with salsa, sour cream and soft tortillas (supper last night.)

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
that one looks lovely RV, will have to give it a try at some stage.

All done and all bagged up now, stuck with my usual recipes for most of it and tried a few new ones in small batches. they all passed quality control (SWAMBO), and are pretty tasty if I do say so myself!

I'll bang up the recipes in the next few days when i get the chance.

p.s. I could be wrong, but i thought pemmican was supposed to have dried fruit in it as well? or did i just pluck that out of nowhere?

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Pemmican with fruit = according to the records of the Hudson`s Bay Company, this is a borderline myth.
The Cree elders I know say that the sugar in dried berries (SaskatoonéService = Amelanchier alnifolia) will cause the pemmican to rot prematurely.
The standard packages were 90lb bison hide bags and top quality (É) was done in 60lb bags. Together with bags of root vegetables, this was the
standard fare for the fur traders away from the post. Not post food at all.

Looking forward to seeing your recipes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE