Vapalux M320 Pressure Lanterns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Having seen the light (so to speak :lmao:) and used a pressure lantern at the recent DBC meet, I’ll admit that I’m sold on the luxury of a lantern during larger or longer camps. With this in mind I purchased an army surplus Vapalux M320 lantern the other day and was so impressed with the quality of the lamp over similar makes, I’d thought I’d do a little groundwork and see if there’s any interest on a group-buy for these. To give those who are unfamiliar with the lamps, I’ve attached a couple of snaps of mine:

Based upon my purchase, and the fact that he had a few quid left over from Christmas, Oakhill Wanderer went out and purchased one (unissued) and has written about it on his blog;

http://oakhillwanderer.com/2012/01/vapalux-m320-pressure-lantern/

I’ve enquired at a few places so far (Bushcraft Store, Denbigh, Military Mart, etc) and many that advertise a good price, either have no stock or will supply issued ones in good condition.

The price is you walked in off the street to buy one is between £75 and £85 (as some unissued lamps have been dinged or scratched in transit – hence the lower cost) but If any of you are interested, we’d need a minimum of five (certain) parties to get this thing off the ground. As part of the group buy, we can get them for £65, plus the cost of postage (estimated at £10 for now). Working out at £75 total.
The contents of the unissued lamp package;
The lantern (obviously) in a new unissued state including a mantle,
Instructions,
A two-piece fount reflector.
Whilst these are not the cheapest available out there, as you can get them on eBay for a penny shy of £60, they don’t come with the reflector which is another £12, plus postage at £10 = £82 total.

Another option is to go for an issued one, minus the instructions and reflector, for £45 each plus postage at a tenner = £55 Total. The advantage with this option, is that I can physically go in and choose the best ones available, as opposed to just getting whatever comes to hand.

Either way, I’m happy to do the legwork, but we need a minimum of five for either option……we can’t have three unissued and two issued lanterns apparently. Either way, they represent a reasonable deal, and maybe one of the last opportunities to purchase a one of these British-made solid and reliable lamps; the manufacturers lost the contract to supply the UK forces in 2009/2010. Since then the name ‘Vapalux’ along with the tooling and rights have been sold to a Korean firm. To buy a new one from Vapalux.com now would set you back £160!!

If anyone can find these cheaper (and in stock), please let me know and I'll see if I can either barter a better price, or switch suppliers.

All the best,
Steve

Last edited:

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
i'm definitely interested mate either one would suit me i'd prefer an issued one but don't mind going for a new one if thats what everyone else wants.

matt

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I'm in for an new unissued one please!!!!
I have been hankering after one of these beauties for a while now!
What would the year of manufacture be; would it be the 2005 ones?

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I can certainly select one to spec for you. I think the majority of them are dated 2001 and 2005, so I'm pretty sure I can fulfil that request.

Many thanks guys, we only need one more and we've met the minimum requirement :)

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Hi There,
Interested.
The issued one (if you can choose the best ones)would be my first option.
However would probably be interested in the new one if this was the group decision

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
Hi,
I have wanted one for a long time now we don't have them in Ireland and I wouldn't mind either option, my shipping cost will be around £20
'ish that's ok also.
Alan.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If there are any complete including reflector new ones left I'm in for one. We can probably do the handover at a meet again to save postage (told you I was a tight git. :))

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Stupid question
I know these are designed to run on paraffin
Will they run on coleman fuel as well?

No. That's like asking a Diesel engine to run on petrol. Paraffin is a bit like Diesel oil, it's a heavier fuel than Coleman Fuel, which is more like petrol.

Coleman do make some lamps which run on Coleman Fuel. I have one. I bought a couple of mantles for it at Christmas, they were insanely expensive.

Oh, and it wasn't a stupid question. Better to ask than singe your eyebrows. :)

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Stupid question
I know these are designed to run on paraffin
Will they run on coleman fuel as well?

No, no only does it not work, but it's very dangerous to try. Most things that run on paraffin are shut off by releasing the pressure in the tank. Once the pressure has gone, the flame/mantle goes out. If you try to run them with petrol, some might actually work, but when you come to shut them off and release the pressure, you will be releasing a large, pressurised cloud of petrol vapour 3 inches from a flame. BOOM! It's not a problem with paraffin, because it is an oil and doesn't vaporise like petrol. Stoves and lanterns that are designed to run on petrol/naptha or derivatives, have an on-off valve that you use to shut the thing down first, before allowing to cool and releasing the pressure in the tank.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
So in summary we have the following;

Wattsy,
Mike8472,
Wildrover,
Alan Whelan,
Granitehead,
Charleslockerbie,
Ged,

At the moment, the GB is for five, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to put Charles and Ged on the reserve list.
I have the lanterns in my possession now, all are unissued with a mantle attached, and still have the glass wrapped in brown paper. Whilst they're unissued, some have the odd light mark or scratch where they've rubbed against another lamp during transit, but other than that, they're absolute beauties :)

PM's have (or shortly will have) gone out to the first five with PayPal details on. At this juncture, UK postage is £10, postage to Eire is £20, but I will refund any discrepancy (minus cost of packaging) between the actual cost and the quoted amount.

Cheers,
Steve

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Spot the Vapalux?

lakes-001.jpg

Great lanterns. Might be worth trying Endicotts for a group buy, they sometimes have a stock of surplus.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I also meant to add; if anyone wants to add to the reserve list, please do! I'll try my hardest to negotiate another deal. Like Martyn said; if I can get them cheaper/better elsewhere, I will.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I also meant to add; if anyone wants to add to the reserve list, please do! I'll try my hardest to negotiate another deal. Like Martyn said; if I can get them cheaper/better elsewhere, I will.

I know they've gone up a lot in that last couple of years, but I paid £35 each for mine in unissued condition off ebay. At the time, the seller had dozens. I think Endicotts have had em at £45 but not seen em recently. If you have a few people on the GB it might be worth giving em a call. It's also worth pointing out that even the unissued lanterns in mint condition can have knackered vap tubes. The tubes are steel and if the lantern has sat in storage for a few years, the vap tubes can rust inside, requiring a £15 replacement part. One of mine came like that.

Lantern....

vapaluxm320_006.jpg

Knackered vap tube...

m320_004.jpg

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
A duly noted 'caveat emptor' :) I can't test these sadly, but it's something to bear in mind.

I'm also awaiting a response from Kevin at Endicotts regarding and issued lamp group buy possibility. I'll
know more on Monday.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE