Using flint and steel to ignite a cramp ball fungi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Evening folks like most of us i am a self confessed firebug and one of my favourite things to do when i am stuck in the city is play about with various forms of lighting fire, or to be politically correct i practice my fire lighting skills, anyhoo i know i am not alone in this madness of flame devotion especially on here so I thought i'd share with you all my latest playtime, i mean practice.

I just made and uploaded a little video of myself using a flint and steel to get an ember going with a cramp ball fungi

[video=youtube;-GOZ8wmHuSE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GOZ8wmHuSE[/video]

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Thanks, after shutting the camera off i nearly set myself on fire trying to put out the cramp ball after allowing the ember to grow so big

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Enjoyed that a lot.... never seen that done before and didn't know it was the bits of steel that came off to form the spark. So gradually through use, the steel will wear down like a ferro rod does presumably?

Only complaint... I counted just one of your signature laughs... dunno why, but it always makes me smile when you start laughing :D

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Lets just say i am lucky that merino wool is naturally flame retardant or i'd have went up like a tinder nest, stupidly i cut off the section with the ember and then tried to throw it out of the window but the wind was blowing at 40mph into my window and the little ember doubled between my fingers and i got showered with sparks and singed fingers before i was able to throw it away

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Lets just say i am lucky that merino wool is naturally flame retardant or i'd have went up like a tinder nest, stupidly i cut off the section with the ember and then tried to throw it out of the window but the wind was blowing at 40mph into my window and the little ember doubled between my fingers and i got showered with sparks and singed fingers before i was able to throw it away

Now that would have been worth videoing.:)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Enjoyed that a lot.... never seen that done before and didn't know it was the bits of steel that came off to form the spark. So gradually through use, the steel will wear down like a ferro rod does presumably?

Only complaint... I counted just one of your signature laughs... dunno why, but it always makes me smile when you start laughing :D

Aye mate slowly but surely the steel grinds away, it has been 2 weeks since i was out in nature my laughs do not come so effortlessly , Bod needs another nature fix soon i reckon

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Bump.gif~c200

Just a wee nudge

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Good video mate! How the smoke alarms didn't go off I'll never know :lmao: good channel too

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Cheers Mick hopefully slowly building a quality YT channel, i think my smoke alarms have just become desensitized due to my dodgy cooking

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Cheers NarzaCyst, i do plenty of on camera speaking (maybe too much ;)) in many of my other vids but when doing videos like that one i try and get the camera as close as i can to the action as i can so the viewers can see the detail of what i am doing, i tried to shoot it originally from my chest mount for a first person perspective but my man baps were wobbling the camera all over every time i struck the flint :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE