USB Chargers. One lead to rule them all?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As a photographer I have a variety of cameras, hard drives, batteries and other devices that may need charging on a long trip.

I can occasionally do this with a mains supply, sometimes I have access to a vehicle supply but if not I carry a couple of 8Ah Lithium Poly power packs which are the the most powerful I can carry on most airlines.

These deliver 12V DC which I use with adapters to convert down to voltages that can run the cameras directly or provide a USB socket supply that I can charge most of the other hardware from.

So far so good. Two chargers for the power packs (One mains, one vehicle) Three chargers for different camera batteries and a block adaptor that provides 4 USB type A charging sockets.

Then we get to the leads!

usb-connectors.jpg

I have already trimmed the mains cables down to save bulk and I try to use the right plugs for the region I'm travelling in to reduce the need for bulky converters but you still end up needing a bunch of leads to conect from the USB type A sockets to either USB Mini B, USB Micro B ( Types 2 and 3 ) or the widely used UC-E6 8 pin connector.

8pin_UC-E6_miniusb.jpg
UC-E6 type 8 pin connector.
gekjed1375095570523.jpg
USB 3

Added to these I also need propriatory connectors for my iPad and Sony Walkman which I cannot do much about.

I'm looking for clever ideas to reduce some of this spagetti. Some sort of multi cable or adaptors perhaps.

My GoogleFu isn't comming up with much so I thought I would ask if anyone here has tackled such a problem with success?

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Sorry too drift off subject but could I ask for a link too the power packs your using Weyland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've looked at a lot of interchangeable tip leads like the PowerMonkey one, I've even bought a couple over the years and most don't seem to have the connectors I'm after or they just don't work very well.

I'm driving 2.4 amps through the cable for rapid charging and a lot of them are too thin for the job.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Could you use the 12v power packs to charge the powermonkey, it would cut down on a few leads I think.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That is the kind of neat engineering that I'm looking for.

I don't need the long Apple plug though.

At the moment I need USB mini B, micro B, EC-E6, Lightning and whatever the long Sony Walkman plug is called.

Any combination of the above would be good although I'd be very surprised to get all of them.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It does seem to bring up the right item in searches. Good work Jared.

I like the adaptor part of that thing but those retractable cables tend to be very thin and fail quickly.

I'm leaning towards the male/female USB cable with a set of short converters or cables to give me the connections I need. I suspect that might be the most robust solution.

I can find short Micro and Mini USB cables quite easily but still cannot find a short UC-E6 type ( or mini b 8 pin flat ) cable anywhere.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE