Urban travel bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Ok.

So I do a tone of travel and hotel stays with work and often find myself "in need" so here are a few bits I carry to help myself....

Para cord (clothes line for long stays) the rads never work
Extension lead (the plug is always on the other side of the room to the bed) phone charging, laptop etc.
Multitool for...... a multitude of purposes
FAK
Pot noodles (kettle made food)
Drinks (kettle made)

Any other "travellers" add to this

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I would imagine a torch or headtorch would come in handy. The light switch is always a long way away when you need it, and in an unfamiliar location in a darkened room.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I would imagine a torch or headtorch would come in handy. The light switch is always a long way away when you need it, and in an unfamiliar location in a darkened room.

Indeed! Forgot that one

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
A spoon or spork.

After spending the evening in a pub, used to buy a small pot of ice cream/yoghurt on the way back to the BnB and trying to eat it with a multitool knife blade is fraught with danger :)

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have a drink making kit, some kind of flapjack bar maybe a bit of chocolate and usually a cup a soup. I always have my leatherman wave, SW radio, I EDC some other tools, bits and pieces (tie wraps, maskers, batteries et al) and a backup power supply for my phone, iPad, watch etc. The extension lead gets more runouts than you care to think. My pet hate is SKLS, short kettle lead syndrome. Having to put the kettle on the floor for the only plug has got to be flashing red for H&S. Other hates, non-drying towels, shower curtains and walls/floors so thin you're kept awake with snoring. I spend a lot of time away and not always in salubrious surroundings.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Cheap pair of flip flops. Great for standing in a manky shower tray, on the beach or simply for resting your feet and not having to barefoot it around questionable hotel rooms and tread on something undesirable.

These are good ones :cool:

Blog-image.jpg

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Home comforts are the things I'd go to grab, tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used to take a Breville toasty maker with me if I was in digs for a week or so, especially if I was in London. A loaf of bread and a chunk of cheese were a damn site cheaper than heading out for food.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I've been known to take a spoon I'm working on, throwing the shavings out the window into the car park shrubbery
A Carvin' Jack is great for that

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
A spoon or spork.

After spending the evening in a pub, used to buy a small pot of ice cream/yoghurt on the way back to the BnB and trying to eat it with a multitool knife blade is fraught with danger :)

Similar trying to eat chicken fried rice and curry sauce with a credit card :D

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Disposable ear plugs, brilliant if you end up with a room by a busy road or above the kitchens, or next to the elevator, or have noisy neighbours !

Cheers, Paul

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Squash Ball: -

• It's something to play with.
  • Distracts questionable dogs in foreign climes.
  • Temporary Sink/Bath Plug. Great if in a Muslim country or somewhere with plug stealing students.
  • Keeps your fingers strong when squished.

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
Map, satnavs are great but the local A to Z are still handy. I remember when I was travelling around the country, I collected almost a bookshelf full of them
A small notebook with all the relevant numbers in and keeping it seperate to your mobile
Make sure your vehicle has all the standard travelling kit and tools. I kept all the winter stuff in the car all year round

Best advice I ever got from another travelling IT person, was if you are staying in a hotel with a trouser press, put your socks and pants in it while you shower. Then when you get out they are toasty warm.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ok.

So I do a tone of travel and hotel stays with work and often find myself "in need" so here are a few bits I carry to help myself....

Para cord (clothes line for long stays) the rads never work
Extension lead (the plug is always on the other side of the room to the bed) phone charging, laptop etc.
Multitool for...... a multitude of purposes
FAK
Pot noodles (kettle made food)
Drinks (kettle made)

Any other "travellers" add to this

What sort of hotels do you stay in?

http://www.alpharooms.com/ should be looked at by you mate.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Wash kit including baby wipes just in case you spend too much time away from a shower.
Spent a bit of time living either in a van or in the site cabins whilst working away so...

Flip Flops for if you are getting showers in truck stops/site showers. do you want the manky stuff from every trucker in the area on your feet?
Decent sized towel, again for the truckstop showers.
Loads of socks.
Spare clothes.
240 volt phone charger as well as a car charger for the phone.
Cheap (about 11 pence or so) noodles from supermarket, throw the manky flavour away and add a cup a soup for far nicer flavours. Hot water from the kettle and its easy.
Brew kit.
Instant porridge for first thing in the morning with yer cuppa.
Truckers map, quite handy for showing where the services are.

Most of the work I did was with a mate who used to be a trucker, so he knew most of the good places to go. They do it all the time so its in their interests to find out the good places.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE