UQ Sleeping bag care

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
Hi all, it's been quite a while since I posted, I've got a question for you knowledgeable people.

I've got a dd jura2 sleeping bag and a snugpak UQ, both of them are synthetic filling and I have been storing them in the Compression sacks for ages. I got them out and noticed they weren't as lofty as I seem to remember. Have I ruined them or will a good shake and hang see them plump up?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Hi all, it's been quite a while since I posted, I've got a question for you knowledgeable people.

I've got a dd jura2 sleeping bag and a snugpak UQ, both of them are synthetic filling and I have been storing them in the Compression sacks for ages. I got them out and noticed they weren't as lofty as I seem to remember. Have I ruined them or will a good shake and hang see them plump up?

I stand to be corrected, but I was always led to believe that they should be stored loose; ie hung for that reason. Some synthetics have a memory which would make them more difficult to "re loft" as it were.

However, a good shake and airing, often repeated, may restore something, or my favourite, if you have access to a tumble drier that will take the bag (a launderette?) without going hot, warm is adequate !, it will loft them up a treat. Then air......

Hope this helps.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is a good idea to store any sleeping bag loose - I put them in a big breathable fabric bag (think duvet cover) on top of the wardrobe but used to lay them out on the spare bed (spare bedroom now is my workroom.
When tumble drying the bags AT A LOW TEMP put a trainer in with them to give them a good pummeling...

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I don't have a wardrobe big enough to hang all my sleeping bags in, so I do keep mine stuffed in a bag - lightly stuffed not compressed - I have an enormous German army sea sack and I've got 7 sleeping bags in it still with plenty of squeeze left! It's massive, but handy to have all in one place to chuck in the back of the car - came in useful at a cubs camp where some came with woefully thin sleeping bags.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
The dryer thing mostly works on down, because that can get broken up if it clumps and reloft that way. For synthetics, that won't help a lot since the damage is done by the constant compression of the tubes or rods in the filling making them break and/or bend, therefor just ruining the shape. Letting them reloft again will help a bit, but unfortunately i think that they are ruined asfar as getting them back to original shape goes. The temperature rating will be a few degrees worse.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
Hey up Tom , clear your inbox, it's full!
As for the UQ.... Evilbay I reckon.
Cleared out! Didn't realise it was full. Yeah I'm tempted to look into getting some down stuffed into it as it's a bit flat. Not sure if mixing synthetic and down fillings is a good idea though

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
Also thanks for the replies everyone, they recovered a bit after a shake and fluff but I would definitely say I've caused damage to the UQ

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Cleared out! Didn't realise it was full. Yeah I'm tempted to look into getting some down stuffed into it as it's a bit flat. Not sure if mixing synthetic and down fillings is a good idea though
How weird, forum still says you've exceeded PM allowance...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE