Uploading photos, or rather, not uploading photos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 22, 2010
Why has it been made such a faff to put photos on threads? Theres even the need to have a thread to guide you through the process? Can it be made easier? if not why not?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If you want to upload direct from your pc then you need to suscribe(it comes with other benefits like being able to sell), else just use a host, it really isn't any hassle at all.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Use a host such as Photobucket or Flickr then copy the direct web link from your pic there to your thread here (using the image tag on your post options). It's pretty easy.

Sep 22, 2010
Thank you for your replies and I hear what you say. The thing is it actually isnt that easy, if it was it would be included in the free version. Clearly its a faff compared to just browsing your own files and hitting upload, and most people (non paying members) just exchange email addresses and send photos there as its far simpler. As you point out its a perk for paid up members which is fair enough. Bcuk could make this fact easier to see and in doing so may increase their numbers.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'm a "free" member & host all my photos on Photobucket. The site lets you copy "img" tags with one click & you just paste those into your thread - it's really not hard

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...The thing is it actually isnt that easy..."

I cannot agree with that, it really couldn't be simpler, simply stick
on the other side.

Now not all image hosting services are equal, Photobucket being an absolute dog to use, but Flickr is a little easier and Google's Picasa being perhaps the easiest. Get to grips with a hosting service of some form and you are laughing.

Try it. Here is the url of an image...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAABg0/SpHYqsZjXUY/w500-h375-k/P6080163.JPG

Post the above link into a post with the
at the end and your pic appears in the post...

P6080163.JPG

Easy. :)

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2010
Hi thank you for your thoughts. Firstly like driving a car or even passing the driving test not everyones ability is the same.
This also applies to computer literacy, spelling, and if you like, Bushcraft skills.Not everyone knows how to use a third party host or trusts them come to that. Its simply not as easy as browsing your own files and clicking upload, anyway to do it the rules say we have to pay and the rules are the rules...

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thank you for your replies and I hear what you say. The thing is it actually isnt that easy, if it was it would be included in the free version. Clearly its a faff compared to just browsing your own files and hitting upload, and most people (non paying members) just exchange email addresses and send photos there as its far simpler. As you point out its a perk for paid up members which is fair enough. Bcuk could make this fact easier to see and in doing so may increase their numbers.

In the past it wasn't possible to upload pictures directly from your computer to the forums. People had to use a host and it worked fine for everyone, though some didn't get how it worked. We have had a tutorial to upload pictures for years, some people haven't got a lot computer skills - and since we want everyone to be able to express themselves we put up that tutorial.

Putting up a picture is easy. You just need to get the hang of it, read the tutorial and practice in a test thread if that need is present. Bushcraft is about learning new skills. Same goes with the rest of life.

With the last forum update we made the upload from your computer possible. Though BCUK is a forum with a lot of traffic and quite an amount of members. If it would be possible for all these members to upload directly, the BCUK server would end up with a lot of junk. By restricting it to FM's we hope to prevent to much junk, though on the other hand give the forum supporting members an extra perk. Furthermore: the more forum members, the more people who don't get how to put up pics.

I don't see how BCUK could make it easier to see. The pop up that appears when one wants to put up a picture can't be changed, or when it can be changed (a hack) - for example by adding a note about FM's & direct uploading - the owner of this website will not change it, as he likes to have the website software hack free. This has to do with vB support that comes when you own a forum (bought vBulletin software).

There's no correlation between the amount of members and the ease of uploading pics. Most, if not all members who become a FM do subscribe because they want to help to keep up the website.

HTH

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
When it comes down to it, the cost is prohibitive to have everyone to be able to post pictures. Tony pays an awful lot more than you think to keep this site running, both in money and time, and if he and his mods had to clear out the spam and Junk that would increase 100 fold if anyone could post pictures, I’m sure this site would suffer.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I use photobucket, its easy enough, open album and hover pointer over image, left click the img box that will have appeared and paste the link here.
DSCF4256Small.jpg

Just like that

Sep 22, 2010
Thanks Tadpole, I think you are right and also thanks to rik_uk3 and others who have offered help explain the process.
Will have a go later and see if I can get something to appear.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
On another forum I used imageshack with no trouble.

If I try to post an imageshack url here it won't display.

I'll try a post to show what I mean:

pumpdrills007.jpg

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Its simply not as easy as browsing your own files and clicking upload..."

Obviously the various photo hosting sites allow you to organize and modify your images to your hearts content. If that is either something you don't want to do or find difficult to manage I would direct you to imgur...

https://imgur.com/

...which provides you with a single click image upload service. Once your image has uploaded you are taken to a page that lists the various links you might need for that image when its done.

Here is an image I put up there and then pasted here in four mouse clicks.

gr3yS.jpg

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hi thank you for your thoughts. Firstly like driving a car or even passing the driving test not everyones ability is the same.
This also applies to computer literacy, spelling, and if you like, Bushcraft skills.Not everyone knows how to use a third party host or trusts them come to that.
I dont buy that. Children can learn to use the internet in a few hours. Parts of it are complicated, but to be honest, it's more about having the motivation to be bothered to learn, than the capability to understand.
Its simply not as easy as browsing your own files and clicking upload, anyway to do it the rules say we have to pay and the rules are the rules...

I think some explanation of how the internet is paid for, is appropriate here.

Putting pictures on the internet costs money. A picture is a file that contains data. That data occupies space. When you view a picture on the internet, that file is transferred down a telephone line to your computer. That process costs money, just like making a telephone call. When you put your picture on BcUK, you transfer that data from your PC to BcUK - one telephone call from you to BcUK - you pay for that by paying for an internet connection. But one the picture is on BcUK, possibly thousands of people might view it. That's 1000's of times the file size, being transferred down 1000's of telephone lines, all being pulled from BcUK. Now it's BcUK making 1000's of telephone calls to show your picture. It's called bandwidth and BcUK (and all websites) have to pay for it. The more visitors the site has, the more bandwidth gets consumed and the higher the costs. Pictures are one of the most bandwidth hungry file types you can have. So, your choices are simple, pay BcUK and they will let you easily post pictures on the site as you have covered the costs, or dont pay and you will have to use a 3rd part picture hosting site, that covers their costs by advertising or subscriptions. If you want an easy life, you can have one, but you need to pay for what you use.

It's not about how easy things are, it's about who pays for it.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
One thing you don't need to do on a forum is post large files for them to be enjoyable

Photo 1 at 1.7mb
100_2998.jpg

Same reduced in size to 84k 640x 480 resolution

100_2998Custom.jpg

Reduced to 40K

100_2998Mobile.jpg

So the middle picture is an nice size compromise and you could post about 20 pictures for the same forum 'space' and the larger one.

Resizing is very simple, I use http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/ its free.

Right click an image on your computer and the option box pops up, convert the file and it leaves the original image there and creates a smaller version for you. You can convert more at once by highlighting and then right click. The third picture is perfect for mobile phones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE