Underblanket and Quilt Minimum Temperature?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
What's the coldest that anyone has used their underblanket and quilt combo down to? I've used mine to about -8 / -10, but as it's likely to get a fair bit colder than that in Sweden I might have to resort to ground dwelling. I tend to sleep quite warm, and I also wear my clothes to sleep in.

Cheers, Michael.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Never had the quilt but I've used the UB at -6 with a snugpak elite 4.

I'd maybe double up with a foam mat underneath and a wool blanket between you and the quilt.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
I'm seriously thinking about taking the quilt home at Christmas and bringing my 3 season down bag ( which I've used down to -10 inside a bivvy bag ) out with me next year. I'm figuring that the extra material and down will up the rating a bit when used as a quilt, and if it get's really cold I can revert to ground dwelling and layer the underblanket over the bag.

Cheers, Michael.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Not sure if this is of any help but the underblanket (from wanderinstar) has been used by me at temperatures down to around -8. But below zero it seems more comfy on the ground. The underblanket is from the end of 2006, so after 3 years and about 120 nights used it has lost some insulating properties. It would be interesting to see if any persons slept with just the underblanket as isolation beneath them under -10. I'm already impressed you slept in it at -10.

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
Use rocks and you should be fine in colder weather.. :D

Unfortunately my Mother couldn't knit suitable socks to hold them.

I'm now considering taking the U/B home and bringing my cocoon back, and using it in combination with the quilt. I'll bring a roll mat too in case things turn really nasty. How cold does it get in this part of Sweden?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Unfortunately my Mother couldn't knit suitable socks to hold them.

I'm now considering taking the U/B home and bringing my cocoon back, and using it in combination with the quilt. I'll bring a roll mat too in case things turn really nasty. How cold does it get in this part of Sweden?

Seldom colder than -20. My random guess is that it will not go under -15 this winter. It's minus 5 here now, but in the inland it ranges from -10 to -17 (at the same latitude).

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE