tying cord onto a bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
im new here so be gently please.
I have never made fire by hand but I can do smoke.

I cut a lenth of purple plub about 3 foot strong and strait what knots do I
tie to keep the cord on. I cut two small v nicks and ran the cord over these down the back of the shaft about an inch and started of with a clove hitch. but I bet you guys have worked out the right knot. A picture would help

many thanks David

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Hi Dave welcome to bcuk.

I cant remember what I have on my bow, but I have a fixed knot at one end, and then one I can adjust at the other to allow for the cord stretching over time.

Cheers

TC

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Timber hitch is the usual.
Timber.gif

P.S. Welcome aboard. :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi David1,
Welcome to the forum.
Frankly I wouldn't get all hot under the collar about which is the correct knot to use anywhere - just find one that works and stick to it. Whilst I'm confident in my knotting abilities, I can't always remember the names of the knots, I just know that they work for me.

ATB

Ogri the trog

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
I like knots but I dont like making fire. if you do it in doors the smoke smells for days

think the problem I am having is the bow is very green i.e I cut it of a live tree and then tryied to tie on to it the sap made it a tad slippy. so with my enthusiasm to make fire I just made sweat and smoke. :)

did the trick of more smoke comming from top of drill than the one in hole at the bottem. but the holder at the top was too small to use as a harth until I screwed it to a bigger plank of wood. By this time I was hafl stripped off because of the sweat poring of me, I did not need a fire to keep warm.

the next day when I came home I could still smell the smoke.

and I thought this would be easy, I read on here that someclaimed to make fire in seconds and with three or four pulls of a bow. they must be GODS or lying through there teeth. :)

Thanks all

David

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Oh, that kind of bow! :eek:
Sorry, picked you up wrong. :rolleyes:
Don't know what the norm is for those.

Seen a cracker at the North Meet where the string looped over a stub of a branch that had been left on the bow. Felt really secure compared to notches and knots. The other end was fixed through a hole in the bow. There was no danger of it coming loose. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
david1 said:
and I thought this would be easy, I read on here that someclaimed to make fire in seconds and with three or four pulls of a bow. they must be GODS or lying through there teeth. :)
Thanks all
David

Fire? Easy? :eek: Whoever said that? :rolleyes:
It's one of those lightbulb moment skills I'm afraid. You can read all the posts, acquire the best of materials and practice until your puffing like the balloon man at the fair with muscles like a bodybuilder and you still won't make fire it and then, suddenly you're frantically trying to put the doormat out! :D
It is easy, but it can take time to get it together. Don't despair, it's worth all the effort...besides, it's fun.
"Eau de smokey bacon crisps", is however, an acquired taste :eek:

Cheers,
Toddy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Toddy said:
...and then, suddenly you're frantically trying to put the doormat out! :D

Cheers,
Toddy

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Nice one Toddy.

It really is a Eureka moment I'm affraid, I'd read loads of info on the subject and only got smoke. It took the personal touch of Falling Rain and Buckshot to gently nudge me over the summit of knowledge, to see that it really can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it.
Once you've accomplished it, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Knot wise I have used a Buntline hitch at one end and adjusted the other using a lighterman's hitch. They work well.

See http://sjr.state.fl.us/programs/outreach/pubs/irl_guide/practice.html

This is easy to use to adjust the tension and take up the extra cord. These probably are not the correct bushcraft knots but with a sailing background I use the one's i am comfortable with.

Still haven't made fire using my own board though. Wrong woods I guess

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
BOD said:
Knot wise I have used a Buntline hitch at one end and adjusted the other using a lighterman's hitch. They work well.

Still haven't made fire using my own board though. Wrong woods I guess

agree knots work. 1 hour later back is soaked but no fire and even less smoke than last time :-(

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Spare a thought for the Bornean fire by friction experimenter - 700 + species of tree/wood to try out!

Not to mention the humidity! After every session extensive re-hydration is needed usually with a beer which kills the desire to try again

Locals do not use fire by friction anymore and used to use rattan strip and bamboo/wood. No advice from them about types of wood and so hard to identify.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE