Twice punctured!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Having long ago reached the wrinkly age for the annual anti 'flu jab, I went off to the local Doc's surgery for the yearly stabbing only to be invited to have the age related anti Shingles jab as well..Oh! Goody..
Anyway, that all over with, I found that within 24 hours I wasn't feeling that great, so I decided to hunt around for something to do inside until the effects of the double stabbing wore off.
A couple of lengths of soft wood and a spare Bow Saw blade gave the inspiration. So the idea is to use just the tools to hand and see what results.

QqucJTvm.jpg

The knife is one I made up from a kit someone kindly presented to me.

Knowing that cutting a Mortice joint without a proper chisel would be beyond me, I cut a recess in the side piece and glued a piece of thin wood over it to make a pocket to hold the saw cross brace.

XZNQcECm.jpg
bUdZGxnm.jpg

The pins are the remains of an old aluminium tent peg.

AQU3uB6m.jpg

The carvings are not great, had to wrap the blade of that little knife in rag so that I could hold it to carve, without amputating fingers..:D

Uzh57Tym.jpg
1pYOA4zm.jpg

mlF1cljm.jpg

Most difficult was cutting the recess in the cross brace so that the saw blade stows safely. Small section at a time and lot's of sandpaper was the answer...

7TXgrVNm.jpg

Easier to cut wood with than the folding saw and saves me hauling a fixed Bow Saw into the wood..and the results of being Bayoneted (twice) by the nice Nurse have worn off..;)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You should get punctured more often! Cracking results. I'm due to head into the Docs to get mine next week, hope it inspires me to similar heights.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Great outcome to an unwanted medical prodding. Just what the doctor ordered.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
That looks amazing! Well done sir.

I've just bought one of these blades having read a guide on making a handle out in the field. Had a go with a piece of hazel last weekend and spent a good quarter of an hour trying to gradually get it to bend without snapping but it eventually gave way. Might try a soft wood next time if I can find something suitably sized and see if I can get on with that or perhaps willow.

DogRose

Forager
Apr 19, 2015
Isle of Wight
Nice work with some clever touches, even more impressive considering the tools used. I think the carvings look great and really suit the piece.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Fine craftsmanship! Most useful wood carving tool for the rough-out.

Needles: Yeah, I've had a few that were made either first thing on a Monday morning or the last thing on a Friday afternoon.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
The saw blade on the Leatherman is really impressive for such a small portable tool and made easy work of cutting that soft wood. Fully recovered from the double bonus vaccinations now thank you, and leaping about again like a two year old at a party ..:lmao:
The Buck Saw breaks down easily and fits nicely into my Bergan.

bSAXu9gl.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE