Turtle Dog Hammock Stand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
My take on a Turtle Dog Hammock Stand.

Sourced a number of swaged poles [trampoline enclosure poles] from the kids broken trampoline, enough to make two tripods. Had been using a range of random bits of pipe for a ridge pole but recently acquired another set of trampoline poles. The new ones have springy nipples which lock both halves together, I have used these as the two tripods and both halve being locked makes it much easier to move - the previous ones just slot together but are not fixed, so the bottom half kept falling out :)

I tied the poles in a tripod using cheap string and just place the ridge pole in a v which is formed in the top of the tripod.

ENiTFru.jpg

The Ridge pole is three sections slotted together.

VwGBPi2.jpg

Being designed to be outside most of the time the poles are galvanised and have already survived multiple years outside in all weathers with no ill effects.

The best bit is the poles all break down into small sections so can be easily transported. Yes is it still really heavy - far too heavy to back pack - but it can easily fit into a car boot. So for setting up at the beach [where there are no trees] it is pretty portable. My next project will be a carry case to get it all in.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That's cool, I'm trying to work out how to set up a couple of hammocks at home and had come to the conclusion that something like this was the best way of doing it...

goodjob

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
It also has non-marking feet to not muck up the floor indoors :)

amjzD4M.jpg

Out of two trampolines I've got enough poles for three tripods and two ridgepoles. setup in a triangle I can hang three hammocks off it :), just need to find another 2nd hand trampoline I can nick the enclosure poles from...

Old trampolines have been the best source for cheap sectioned poles. Trying to get them from a metal supplier is hugely expensive. 2nd hand trampoline 10 quid :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am curious to try a tensahedron stand. No need for the top bar, only four poles required. I tried making a kind of Turtledog stand using 44mm pressure treated timber and found that A) the two tripods I had were not really tall enough, and B) the horizontal wasn't long enough.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Each section is roughly 1meter so tripods are 2 m long, about head height when deployed, and the centre pole is slightly longer than 3m. Works out at a reasonable to low sitting height for a small hammock (2.6m) with a fair amount of sag

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE