Travel/Bushcraft Clothing Cheap!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
Hey folks! I was wondering if you had any advice to share on purchasing travel/outdoormans clothing. I'm not one to spend a lot of money on clothes and looking around all of the decent travel brands are highly expensive. So much so that it might be the most expensive part of my gear. I don't like that and I was wondering if any of you had advice for getting cheap sensible clothing here in the UK. Millets have a sale on right now and usually stock Craghoppers and Northface but after looking at my local store both seemed to be in short supply. The only other travel store is a Rohan shop. Its expensive £100 for a pair of trousers but they appear to be very good quality.
Although currently I am only going out on short weekend trips I want to eventually travel extensively around Europe, Australia and North America. I would think I would need 1-4 changes of clothes for such a long trip and purchasing proper travel clothing that would be very expensive. Currently I use running clothing for hiking.

So what would you guys suggest? What brands what retailers sell decent clothing at a sensible price? I'm really not happy shelling out a large amount of money on clothes and hope to pick some up in the sales and what materials should these clothes be made of?
Thanks. :cool:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I agree Rohan's not 'cheap' but HWMBLT, Son1 and Son2 are still wearing fleeces I bought them over ten years ago that look as good as the ones I bought this Christmas from Rohan. Quality is worth it at times.

Seriously though, if your budget is constrained, watch for the outdoor clothing stuff coming up for sale in Lidl and Aldi. It's a fraction of the cost of elsewhere, the quality is fine, the fabrics are good, it lasts, and it's intended for the use you want to give it.

There's always Army Surplus :)

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My personal choice for hard wearing practical clothing is 5.11.
Well made and tough - and in a cut that suits my frame - the 5.11 cotton and polycotton shirts and trousers last well and look good while having the best pockets arrangements going.
Having said that I have also had great milage from (civi, brand new) combat pants from army surplus shops....
Generally I have found that 3 sets of clothing surfice for even the longest trips - one one, one in the wash and one ready to change into...

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Try TKMaxx.
They do have Craghoppers and often better stuff too like North Face , Marmot & Mountain Equipment.
For travel I always use Marmot or ME as they wash easily and will drip dry very quickly.
Pockets on these tend to be zipped and often there is a concealed one useful for cash.Not cheap at
full price but often half price at TKMaxx and nothing wrong with them.Only downside is they don't like open fires!
Hope this helps , Simon

Setantii-Tim

Feb 5, 2013
Fylde Coast
I second the TKMax. I have had many a good fleece and trousers from there and if you go a few times you could find good brands like, Lowe, Berghaus, Helly Hansen and the ones already mentioned at reduced prices.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
This probably isn't going to be the most helpful but try and buy good quality gear. If you are travelling and essentially living in it, then it is worth having something decent. Often the better brands have anti odour treatments, they help to wick away sweat, they dry quickly and they are lighter than the equivalent cotton version to carry.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
a 3rd for TKmax, i got a craghoppers shirt reduced from £55 to £15

and last weeks I picked up some fake buffs, £6 for 3, they seem fine so far

They have loads of cheap multitools, car gear, towropes and the like, and sometimes tents and sleeping bags

Salisbury has a good army surplus shop aswell

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE