Trail Mix

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Hard to beat GORP - Good Ol' Raisins and Peanuts. Mind you, I add almonds and hazelnuts and such too. The recipe is simple: a handful of this, one of that, some of the other, drop into Zip-Loc and seal. A handful of breakfast cereal (Cinnamon Life is rather good) adds a distinct flavour.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
My masterpeice of cookery is, well....quite simple.

Oats, suger and raisens. You`ve got compex carbohydrates there and a little boost in the suger to get you going. If i`m just going for a day or three i take the Oats-so-simple packets and a small bag of suger and small bag of raisens. Longer trips its pre-mixed.

Strange thing is, when i make this at home, dont like it, out in the woods, it is honestly the best tasting meal of the day :)

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
im new so please dont laugh buts whats the point of trail mix is it just somthing to munch on when hikeing or somthing?? :oops:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Yes thats right... it tends to be very high in calories and therefore a good energy booster, It can keep you going for ages. Anytime, anyplace, anywhere ;-)

Don't forget you can also cook with it, eat as musli, make fine biscuits..... I always carry some.

Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Hi tomtom
It all depends on your mix. If you have mainly fruit, it goes well with any type of bread (like bannok bread) that you make, If mainly nuts, grind down, add an egg to bind and you have a lovely nut roast mix.
I have used various trail mixes to stuff game (oat mixes work well) and my grandmother used to make a kind of haggis out of it :shock:

Get yourself a good vegetarian cookbook and think of trail mix as a substitue fo fruit, nuts, or oats. (depending on the mix)

Also, nuts make a good fuel to get a fire started so you realy can cook with them....

oh and don't forget to crush your nuts.... you don't want anyone to choke :oops:

Enjoy your food

Ed

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Try to get them from a health food shop ... some of the commercial ones can be vile!

Ed said:
Dried bananas go realy well with trail mix, they are an ecxellent addition.

:)
Ed

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
I'm a big fan of savoury trail mix.

Get a bunch of different seeds and nuts - sunflower seeds, pine nuts, crushed almonds, peanuts etc. and loads of sesame seeds. Lay them out in a thin layer on a baking tray, sprinkle them with soy sauce and stick them under a very hot grill. Its ready when they all turn golden brown and sticky with the soy sauce. You may have to give the tray a shake a couple of times to make sure they're browned evenly. Watch they dont burn though. I sometimes fry up loads of chopped garlic until its crisp and brown, mix it with a little salt and add this to the trail mix too.

I always seem to crave salty snacks when I'm on the hill rather than sweeter fruity mixes and this stuff really does the trick.

george

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE