Track Thoughts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bodhi

Mar 7, 2010
Moray
As a friend of mine pointed out once, we are 100% right on what we think things are when we go out alone.

Hence, here's a print I found. You can see four toes- spread around quite a lot more than I have seen before, with a high 'negative space' in the middle.

Any thoughts

Hmm. I wrote this and at the bootm of the screen there is a little line that says I cannot post attachments..anyone know how I rectify this please? Then I shall add the pics.

Cheers and all the best all

Rich

Bodhi

Mar 7, 2010
Moray
Arghhhh..no! I had this problem on another forum that used an external linking site. I just dont want any more memberships on the net and no more usernames and passwords..my old brain needs less junk not more otherwise I'll implode :)

Cheers for the suggestion Bushwhacker but I am gradually simplifying my life and eventually I probably will end up offline completely.

I'll quite happily email me them to anyone to see or put up here (if they are already using a pic site).

All the best BW

Rich

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Here's the track for perusal.

IMG_0899a.jpg

IMG_0898a.jpg

IMG_0897a.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Could we have a few more details......like where you found them both country & location & an idea of the size.............Looks like dog or fox to me but need more info :red:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
The size, apparently, was dog size but, to me, it doesn't have any symmetry.
I have no other info yet, I'm just the messenger.

Bodhi

Mar 7, 2010
Moray
Hi guys

Info: Track was dog sized. Confusing points to me is the rear projecting toe and the depth of the central negative space..both unlike most dog/fox prints I have seen. Too big to be rabbit or hare IMO and really doesnt appear like the prints to me anyway.
Tyre tread is mine so not related. Location is my garden out in the countryside of NE Scotland- hares, dogs, and (I hope still tho none seen this year) foxes are in the vicinity. Rabbits are half a mile away. Pheasants, ducks and possibly mustelids about too of varying species..oh and creature X ;)

If I have left anything out then please say so and I'll add it in.

Cheers and all the best to you all

Rich

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The last 2 pics (the sunny ones ;) ) look like dog.....

By dog size, I presume you mean an average sized dog ....'cause there's quite a scope between a chihuahua & a mastiff..:)

Bodhi

Mar 7, 2010
Moray
All 3 are same print, mate.

But a dog doesnt have 3 toes forward and one back?

A mid to large size dog scale print btw.

Cheers

Rich

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm tempted to say otter since the fifth toe doesn't always register and the arrangement of the toes is very similar to other tracks I've found. Even if you're not in the immediate vicinity of water it wouldn't matter. They regularly cross tracts of land to reach pastures new.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
All 3 are same print, mate.

But a dog doesnt have 3 toes forward and one back?

A mid to large size dog scale print btw.

Cheers

Rich

Yep, You're right, looked like there was a heel pad but probably a trick of the light...............the only animals in your vicinity that have 3 toes foreward & 1 back are birds.........but the toe marks look a little short & there appears to be a slight mound formed in the center of the track which birds don't leave :confused:
Looks like something grabbed the earth, ......a kid? :dunno: only one track on softish sand/earth, that's a little strange

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Just a thought, there is a small stone between the third & where the theoretical forth toe would have been, prehaps this pebble prevented the the 4th toe from imprinting & also angled the heel pad so only the edge was printed........................but then again, maybe it's not a track at all....

Edit: Bushwhacker beat me to it :D

Bodhi

Mar 7, 2010
Moray
We do have otters in the area. However, otters are plantigrade whereas these (if mammal) would be digitigrade. Agreed?

Yes, there is a stone but this stone is not under the raised central mound of the "negative space", it is off slightly to the side. The negative space mound is actually large (in height) compared with all the other prints I have seen generally.

Only one track..well next to the track was my wheel mark so my guess is that one foot went up on the side but the general movement was along the track where the ground was too hard to register a track. Not a child either.

I am very glad we are discussing this though as I originally thought I was going to be looking foolish for asking, but the combination of toe pattern and neg space is unusual..

Hmmm...bird taking off? The print was crisp with good edges in the sand/earth substrate. Would it not have shown signs of movement as birds take off with a push and a horizontal component to the movement and thus have a push mark?

All the best

Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE