Torch suitable for lamping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Here's one for all you torch members.
I'm after a torch for lamping with my lurcher Briar.the technology with torches now adays is incredible,i'm after a torch that will send a spot beam about 100yds,and not light up the field,light enough to carry in my pocket,instead of a battery and lamp,any one any recommendations,oh and not to expensive.

Bernie

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'll be interested in this too Bernie. I've been looking at the Deben lamps, they do a torch unit too, but I don't think it has the range you specify. It's fair enough that I don't need a mega bright torch such as the larger Deben Trace as I only shoot out to 30 yards with my Rapid, but it is nice to be able to quickly pick out the eyes across the field so that you can stalk up on them. I need to set up another fund! :rolleyes:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
70 metres for the Tracer, nearly forty sheets for the bog standard torch though, it'll set you back 70 for the rechargeable version! There has to be a cheaper option. I've got a surefire torch that you could use if you like, although I don't have any batteries for it at present. They both take the expensdive CR123 batteries, some rechargeables may be a good option for me. Would any of the Fenix range be able to be adapted with a pressel type switch? They seem to have oplenty of power and are competetively priced and you can get them in AA too!

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Would this be any good Spam
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SSC-P7-900-Lums-CREE-Tactical-A-I-LED-Torch-w-charger_W0QQitemZ260295208846QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260295208846&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Bernie

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It certainly looks to be a beast! You know where you'd need to go for definitive advice on torches though, I don't go there any more and you're not allowed to! :rolleyes:

:lmao:

My concern is that if it goes mammary glands skywards, you have no returns option or warranty on the eBay torch.

Fenix are considered to be very good and cheap torches, with full warranty and returns if it goes wrong. Take a look at some of them, I cannot tell you which would be best, but they often have a turbo mode on them to bang the power right up. It will eat your batteries, but you have low power options to use when you don't want to burn the horizon!

Here's the homepage, just click away at the ones on the left and see what takes your fancy, i may be getting one myself!

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/index.html

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
It certainly looks to be a beast! You know where you'd need to go for definitive advice on torches though, I don't go there any more and you're not allowed to! :rolleyes:

:lmao:

My concern is that if it goes mammary glands skywards, you have no returns option or warranty on the eBay torch.

Fenix are considered to be very good and cheap torches, with full warranty and returns if it goes wrong. Take a look at some of them, I cannot tell you which would be best, but they often have a turbo mode on them to bang the power right up. It will eat your batteries, but you have low power options to use when you don't want to burn the horizon!

Here's the homepage, just click away at the ones on the left and see what takes your fancy, i may be getting one myself!

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/index.html

Thanks Spam,congratulations on your 6000 post are we having a comp ?

Bernie

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Any pics of your lurcher bernie?

Ive got a 6 month old whippit/staffie cross and shes an amazing dog i really should get some pics of her out and about.

Ive been looking for a small and light led lamp for lamping with to replace my small 12v battery and car spot lamp but have not managed to find anything just right for the job but im sure somthing will come along soon as the modern led technology is advancing so fast at the moment.

I was considering getting a large cree led and suitable driver and fitting it into the housing on the old car spot lamp to make my own

Its always the same story though so many ideas/projects and not enough time/money

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Any pics of your lurcher bernie?

Ive got a 6 month old whippit/staffie cross and shes an amazing dog i really should get some pics of her out and about.

Ive been looking for a small and light led lamp for lamping with to replace my small 12v battery and car spot lamp but have not managed to find anything just right for the job but im sure somthing will come along soon as the modern led technology is advancing so fast at the moment.

I was considering getting a large cree led and suitable driver and fitting it into the housing on the old car spot lamp to make my own

Its always the same story though so many ideas/projects and not enough time/money

Here he is,18 months now, first cross bedlington whippet,had his first rabbit the other night, now ready for some work this winter.

Bernie

100_0330.jpg

100_0327.jpg

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Bernie, I take it this is going to be hand-held not gun mounted then?

There are some good LED torches out there (i've got one on the way that claims 1000 lumens from a single LED :eek: )

I've got a selection of torches here - I've got to go to a family do tonight, but i'll try and test them out to 100yds tomorrow to see what the reach / spot is like on them..

what's your rough budget?

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I use one of these

STINGERPICWITHFADE.JPG

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_detail.asp?productID=2071

It can be mounted to your scope and activated via pressure switch on the stock, or you can use it with a bog standard on/off switch on the rear of the unit,also has a red filter option which can be useful in some circumstances, batteries dont last long though, but if you use the pressure switch there's enough juice for a couple of sessions

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Bernie, I take it this is going to be hand-held not gun mounted then?

There are some good LED torches out there (i've got one on the way that claims 1000 lumens from a single LED :eek: )

I've got a selection of torches here - I've got to go to a family do tonight, but i'll try and test them out to 100yds tomorrow to see what the reach / spot is like on them..

what's your rough budget?

Thanks mate,yes it will be hand held, as for price £70 ish,many thanks.

Bernie

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
You should get a fair bit of light for that money... it's the tightness of the beam i'm not sure of. or the amount of side spill.. what sort of area are you looking to cover at 100yds? presumably enough to cover the rabbit, the dog and the gap between them?

I'm after a pencil beam if poss,so it just lights the rabbit not the field,thanks.

Bernie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE