Top 5 Gear tables.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Given the proliferation of threads asking for recommendations for gear I wonder if we could compile a sticky list of "Top 5's" for different categories (similar to the gadget lists in "stuff" magazine http://www.stuff.tv/top-10s ) with 5 items for each category (including budget items) Refreshing the list every few month considering members suggestions and overall forum buzz. This could even become some sort of official or unofficial BCUK gear award?

Anyhow - first we'd need some categories - like the following:
  • Winter sleeping bag
  • Summer sleeping bag
  • Waterproof jacket
  • Rucksack
  • Daybag
  • Tarp
  • Hammock
  • Ultralite tent
  • fixed blade knives
  • UK legal carry knives
  • Wood burning stove
  • Other fuel stove
  • Boots
  • Water filter
  • Camp Axe
  • Sleep mat
  • Packable saw

Then we can make suggestions for 5 for each, someone would have to make the final decision and ideally we should take budget into account along with other factors.
Anyhow - good idea? Bad idea?

once done - anyone asking "please recommend me a..." can be directed at the stickies as a first point of call

M

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Good idea.

I think it's been done her before for the odd item but I haven't seen it for the wide range that you've suggested.

A few other possibles:

Fire starter?
Pot/bottle/kettle/mug/KFS?
FAK?
Multitool?
Poncho?
Gaiters/hat/gloves?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
In principle it sounds a good idea but...

Then we can make suggestions for 5 for each, someone would have to make the final decision and ideally we should take budget into account along with other factors.
Anyhow - good idea? Bad idea?

Trouble with one person making the final decision is people might disagree with it. Added to that new kit coming on the market could possibly make it a bit messy

it's a nice idea in theory.......
however who would decide on the five? something's are really to the individuals taste.
lots of people rate a woodlore or a clone for fixed blade but for me it's too big. a whole potential can of worms especially as that's just sine example.
the budget idea is good to prevent the idea all kit must be horrifically expensive or ridiculously Gucci

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
In principle it sounds a good idea but...

Trouble with one person making the final decision is people might disagree with it. Added to that new kit coming on the market could possibly make it a bit messy

People can disagree with it, it should be a live list and other suggestions can be added to the sticky for anyone to read through and make up there own mind if they wish.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
it's a nice idea in theory.......
however who would decide on the five? something's are really to the individuals taste.
lots of people rate a woodlore or a clone for fixed blade but for me it's too big. a whole potential can of worms especially as that's just sine example.
the budget idea is good to prevent the idea all kit must be horrifically expensive or ridiculously Gucci

Could be 5, could be 10. Could be anything with more than 6 recommendations makes the list....

Personally I think it's a lot easier than everyone is making out - the same recommendations get made over and over and over again and no-one objects.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Just one thing, this reason given of "can't try it as it may not work" - I don't really get it. If it doesn't work, well it was tried. If it does - then great! But if fear of making a mistake stops us from doing something then we never progress do we?

Saying all this there's nothing to stop me making the thread myself, it would just help if they're stickies and everyone gets involved (it'd certainly be more useful).

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It could work, you'd probably have to use polls for the voting, there's probably going to be a lot of varied opinion on most things. Some like to buy top end kit whilst others mock them for it and rant on about budget stuff all the time, neither is any better than the other.

It tends to be the newbies who ask the same questions, it does get tiring for established members but it'll always be the same as new folk come and go. We usually direct them to the search function or existing threads if we can.

Should be easy enough to organise the tables once the data is in, but if it needs to be kept up to date then somebody has to be responsible for doing that.

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Well if more people used it and were pointed in that direction it would be used.

meh, and do we point all questions about knives and axes at britishblades? It becomes a bit silly - we have forums under the title Kit and Tools so why not use them? Diverting people out to a sister site isn't practical.

Last edited:

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I've just been over to MAG for the first time using the link on this thread. You can't really call it a full blown usable website at the moment can you? It has very few users and very few reviews. It either needs a massive recruitment drive for members and reviews or let to quietly die off.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I'd say that if the idea amuses you then go for it.
I've never seen a thread on here asking for a knife recommendation get shunted to MAG or BB. They usually start a good lively "Get a Mora" chant. It would be much more interesting to have 5 recommendations ; "Get 5 Moras" etc.
There will be lots of willing contributors to the thread but whether you fancy doing the housekeeping to maintain it as a current and ongoing resource is a different question.Your call bud.
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE