Tomshoo! Titanium wood stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Got myself the above at a snip...£15.27 to be precise, with a new member discount from AliExpress, arrived today from China within 10 days!
Love a bit of bargain titanium:)
Gave it a burn in within a couple of hours of receiving it, on a mooch round a local lake.
Performance approaching similar to a Bushbox xl, was a bit smokey if overloaded as expected but in all a great twig stove for the money, well put together and thought out.
Was perfect with a 900ml pot and a couple of rat pack meals, a couple of coffees until dusk then home......
Recommended.
4-B9-E5-CC6-C434-4-EA4-8616-F6-F09-EE3-E0-EC.jpg

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Just so we're reading off the same page, you rate this as high as the folding bushbox ? that's some going imho, never owning either but really fancy a bushbox, this could be an alternative :)

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Just so we're reading off the same page, you rate this as high as the folding bushbox ? that's some going imho, never owning either but really fancy a bushbox, this could be an alternative :)
For their intended purposes, cooking/boiling water....yes performance is the near the same as the Bushbox. However, I have ‘thoroughly abused’ the Bushbox I own by using it as a personal space heater/campfire for many hours at a time on many occasions....I wouldn’t want to expose the tomshoo to similar use.

Reactions: bopdude

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I really do like the look of this one, I've a bushbox (2nd hand from here) the only thing that puts me off is the slot and tab style of putting them together as after some abuse the tabs can be tricky to get in and out of the slots.

I'd like to try a hinged type as I reckon they'll be easier to setup and pack down.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
It certainly seems like a more appropriate price for this style of stove. I've never understood the desire to have the more expensive versions. I know they're neater than the hobo versions that we were making ten or so years ago here but I've often wondered how much difference there really can be in use.
I would love to see a comparison across a mass of different versions, inc home made. Basically just being a box with holes in, my starting view would be that they are all basically the same but would be interested to know what makes one better than another (other than size)

Reactions: ScottE

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
That's true, I, like many others have had and still do have many stoves, 1 of the better ones is the proper wildwoodstoves wood gasifier, it fits perfectly into the MSR 750 pot, wood burning wise, second to none imho, but we still try :)

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Stove performance is going to be subjective, take the little Toaks gasifier stove, some hate it and cannot get it to work some love it, I think it’s awesome but, I have a titanium fetish and also do enjoy the challenge of getting feed rates and twig size right, £30-40 of titanium cups with holes in that don’t do anything different to a couple of tin cans pressed together in the shed with holes strategically placed....
I get equal pleasure from making and using my own gear as I do purchased gear.
At £15 the tomshoo is 5 sheets of pressed titanium loveliness that does work :)

Thorgrim

Dec 12, 2015
London
I have one of these titanium twig stoves and it is a very useful stove.
Burns hot and boils water quickly.
Ideally the opening for fuel at the side would be larger but it is adequate.
The stove and storage wallet weigh almost nothing so I keep it in the top pocket of my day hike rucksack as a reminder to stop and have a brew.

Reactions: ScottE

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I'm just waiting for someone to invent titanium water...then we can do some proper weight saving.

I have a pocket stove but always use it with a trangia. I'll do an experiment with sticks later today and see how it goes.
I suppose the trangia provides a smokeless fire/flame without the hassle of having to keep feeding it sticks. But it does lack the romance of a wood fire.
Hmm...I'll play.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
What do people use as a base/ for ground protection? Or is it enough if the basket is lifted up a bit off the ground?

I've got a wildwood wood gas stove (the slightly too tall one that they sold at a discount) and I'm planning to play a bit more with that now.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
What do people use as a base/ for ground protection? Or is it enough if the basket is lifted up a bit off the ground?

I've got a wildwood wood gas stove (the slightly too tall one that they sold at a discount) and I'm planning to play a bit more with that now.

I use one the cheap aluminium windshields that fall apart after a while, 2-3 layers of aluminium on the ground and no heat gets through, especially if there’s air space between them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE