To tarp or tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 20, 2008
Cambridge, UK
I have previously been using a 2 man tent, which when I'm the only one sleeping in it, becomes a bit of a pain lugging it around for a while. So I'm looking at investing in either a 1 man tent or a tarp + bivi + whatever else I should include with it.

Given that I already own a relatively lightweight tent (TNF Tadpole 23), I'm leaning towards the tarp and bivi, however much of where I'd be camping are a tad short of trees (usually the Welsh hills although hoping to make it up to Scotland as well this year) . Also I am completely inexperienced with a tarp/bivi.

I tend to lug things about in a Sabre 45 and use a Nanok Endurance -10, neither of which I fancy replacing.

Any advice or decent links etc would really be appreciated.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I recently got a DD travel hammock for my first time in a hammock.

Can only say..I loved it,used it with an ex issue tarp,easy to put up and use.

The travel can also be used on the ground as a bivi if need be,check the videos on the DD site.

I'm a convert.

Hth

Tom.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I sometimes rig my DD 3m x 3m tarp using a walking staff. At 650g it is a fraction of the weight of my tent.

Having said that, I then have to carry a bivvy bag, if the weather is wet, too.

It is obviously more adaptable to use a tarp, but think about mozzy protection if you are going to Scotland!

Simon

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John Fenna, who is a member on here, rigged his lightweight tarp using poles on a 2-day walk we did last year.
Here's a photo of how he did it:

100_3101.jpg

I hope this helps you, oh and welcome to the site by the way!!:beerchug:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hennessy and DD have got the midgey thing sewn up with the fly screens they use but if you haven't got trees then it could be tricky. I'm sure I've seen some pics of the DDs setup on the ground somewhere though ??

There's quite a few 1 man tents kicking about these days which come in at around 1kg, I have a North Face Mountain marathon which packs down tiny and weighs hardly anything. Only trouble is it's not high enough to sit up in or anything else for that matter, so as soon as I'm awake I have to get up and out whatever the weather.

Gailaine had a cute little Terra Nova I think in Scotland a few weeks ago which had a good height to it.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
If I remember the DD Travel Hammock has moz netting and can bet setup on the ground too. Can't vouch for comfort tho!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Tent!?
Damn you, sir - wash your mouth out!

Seriously though, even the smallest and lightest of tents is heavier and more awkward than a tarp. And a tarp also has the advantage that it can be rigged up like a tent anyway. If you have to lug it around yourself then it's a no-brainer. Personally, I wouldn't even consider a tent unless the weather looked ropey, or I was on a camp site (for the privacy), or I was driving and didn't have to worry about weight..

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Note I don't see a bivi as necessary if you have a 3x3 tarp. I have a 1.8x3 and even that, if put low, is good enough. I put a space blanket (folded in two) underneath me and a short mat. I also have a poncho in case I really needed to close all sides of the tarp into a tent.
Note my sleeping bag is synthetic. If using down you might want more safety margin.

EDIT: my tarp is 500gr with ridges and side ropes. Any staff 1m long or more is good enough for the setup, with feet side pinned to the ground.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Seriously though, even the smallest and lightest of tents is heavier and more awkward than a tarp. And a tarp also has the advantage that it can be rigged up like a tent anyway.

If you're going out for more than a night or two, you need to be prepared for bad weather (well, maybe not in Maidstone ;^). In that case you need a bivi bag. I'd also need an extra pole - I only carry one and generally don't camp near trees. I would think that a tarp, pegs, pole and bivi bag would come to more than 1Kg, which is the weight of my Laserlite.

Jim

Nov 20, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Thank you for all the advice. Definitely decided on the tarp and bivi route for my next purchase actually I've now got a DD tarp on order along with one of the alpkit hunka bivis.

I might see if I can sell my TNF Tadpole and get a MSR Hubba HP for up in Scotland though :), it's only after seeing the pictures on this site that made me lust after one! Alas, this site is dangerous!

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I have a one man tent (Hilleberg Akto) and several tarps. I use the tent in winter and when I am on a public campsite (though I have used a tarp on a public campsite as well - attracting bemused looks!) I am completely sold on the tarp/bivi route when out in the wilds. You get a lot more space for your gramme, plus the flexibility of using different configurations. Also - the tarp doesn't suffer from condensation so much and ca be better for multi-day journeys (the Akto is sometimes too wet to pack up in the morning as condensation can be a nightmare). But - to get to the point - I always use walking poles to hold up the tarp unless I know there are going to be trees around.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
This was a photo taken on a very windy weekend in my playground.

DD lightwieght tarp (3m x 3m) rigged to offer full protection but still having a huge living space.
DSCN2980.jpg

For me its a tarp virtually every time these days. They can be rigged in so many ways, and offer so much more space than a tent of the same wieght.

Simon

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
So how do tarp users cope with midge infestations?

The idea of a tarp is very appealing, but I find it a great relief to retreat into my tent when the midges become intolerarble, in spite of repellents, head nets or midge jackets.

JIm

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
So how do tarp users cope with midge infestations?

The idea of a tarp is very appealing, but I find it a great relief to retreat into my tent when the midges become intolerarble, in spite of repellents, head nets or midge jackets.

JIm

If I'm in a hammock I'll use a box mossie net turned upside down. Just waiting for my new one from John :)

Not sure about the ground dwellers though ??

EDIT:

I should have said I always carry the mossie net because it hardly weighs anything, but I've never actually used it in anger

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I use a head net inside my bivi and that is usually enough. When the midgies are out in force there is not much defence against them and I try to minimise their effect by choice of campsite (breezy is good, away from water) and maybe using a citronelle candle ( not a lot of use in the worst infestations but pleasant company.) If you can have a fire, it helps a lot, but, basically, the midgies rule the world and only let us play in it unfettered when they have better things to do.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I use a Hennessey Hammock when tree dwelling - with integral mozzy net.

If ground dwelling, I use a Snugpack Stratosphere hooped bivvy with mozzy netting.
DSCN3024.jpg

But as Kerne says...
I try to minimise their effect by choice of campsite (breezy is good, away from water) and maybe using a citronelle candle ( not a lot of use in the worst infestations but pleasant company.) If you can have a fire, it helps a lot, but, basically, the midgies rule the world and only let us play in it unfettered when they have better things to do.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE