1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tipi bug resistance

Discussion in 'Shelter & Sleeping' started by naptrel, May 19, 2017.

1. naptrel

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a tipi as a family tent, in particular a Helsport Varanger Camp 12-14 for a family of 7.

How effective are they at keeping bugs out?

Living in Scotland with young children and anticipating lots of use in the wilds, I'm particularly concerned about midges and ticks.

Previously, I've always used small "mountain" tents (Terra Nova, Hilleberg). These have bathtub groundsheets stitched to the inner with mesh panels on the inner doors, so you can zip yourself into a bug-free cocoon. Although I expect to use a tipi with an inner and groundsheet, I'm still concerned that bugs will get in at the gaps between inner/outer/groundsheet, or through the roof vent.

2. didicoy

didicoy Full Member

Thing is with no fixed ground sheet. Your going to find there's no keeping them out. If you burn in there you may drive them up and out. If you bought a internal bedroom, you could isolate that area. Chances are you would have constant migration from dawn till dusk.

3. baggins

baggins Full Member

I have a tentipi, with a detachable floor which, during the summer months, we tuck the valence inside and the ground sheet on top. i have to say we haven't really noticed many bugs getting in except when we open the door to go in and out. having a small mozzie coil can help if its too warm for a fire.
    they are designed for use in Scandinavia, and they do have serious mozzies and black fly in the summer months.

4. C_Claycomb

Mod

I used a Kifaru tipi in New Zealand, which is known for sand flies, I used the velcro attached insect net doors and a DIY "nest" on the inside. In truth, the nest was overkill where I was, I may have had just one or two flies get into the main tipi. Quite a different situation with a MSR Mutha Hubba where there were battalions of the blighters between the fly sheet and the inner tent.

The thing that would worry me about the midges is where they roost when it gets windy and that they hatch out from damp ground. Mossies, black flies and sand flies all hatch from water. I imagine that if you are set up on grass camping fields there isn't much risk of trapping a few thousand midges in the tent with you, but setting up on moorland or rough ground where you plonk the tent over vegetation may be more of a problem.

5. Scots_Charles_River

Scots_Charles_River Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

We use them for group social areas on expeditions to avoid midges. So they do work !
    We use the TENTIPI Varrie 7 polycotton. Ground sheet fits not tightly but keeps midges out.
    They warm up quickly in sun so having the lower vents opens and a bit of roof vent open helps.

6. santaman2000

santaman2000 M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)

Mosquitoes hatch in water but the adults spend their resting time in the grass.

7. Janne

Janne M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)

Smoke them out before bed time. One or two cigarettes should be fine, or you can use a so called 'smoke pot'.

But temrmber, once you open the flap during the night ( loo visit) some bugs will happily enter. Mozzies and gnats are most active at dawn and dusk.

8. Klenchblaize

Klenchblaize Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Helsport Finnmark

www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/Mobile/MBSCProduct.asp?PdtID=9152642

Features:
    - Two entrances with mosquito mesh
    - Top opening adjustable from the inside
    - Two closable Helsport AirflowII® ventilation ducts
    - Adjustable top opening to ensure sufficient airflow inside
    - Storm flaps plus extra reinforced guy line points
    - The opening has protected double zippers
    - Permanent ground sheet with opening for fire, cold pit or Lavvu Stove
    - Guy line points with integrated elastic webbing to collect and prevent the guy lines from
    getting entangled

K

#8 Klenchblaize, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  9. naptrel

If they made a bigger model, I'd definitely go for one of these. I'd much prefer to have two doors--I'm wary of the Varanger and other tipis with only a single door.