Tiny shed/workshops

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all

I am planning to get back into light woodworking (greenwood) often in the woods but I have an old 4ft by 6ft shed that I want to make into a workshop for light crafting, spoons, Kuksa, framesaws and refurbishing axes etc.

This means that I have a great excuse to ask for photos of your tiny workshop interior layouts etc.

ATB
Mark

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
My first workshop was a summer house when I was about 8 years old, so I've never had a workshop as small as yours (though I always feel that I don't have enough space!). I would see a 6x4ft shed as more of a large tool box/cupboard. There's not really enough space to have much in the way of tool storage and workspace, unless you don't have a bench and do all of your work either on a block, shavehorse or other seated position.

The loose floor in most garden sheds is going to make a chopping block quite annoying (less efficient an louder than solid ground). I think if it were my workshop then I would likely use it to rough out stuff like spoons and carvings and then migrate to the living room and TV to do the rest of the carvings. Obviously if the weather is OK then a bench or even workmate could go outside and the problem is solved :)

[QUOTE="Dave Budd, [/QUOTE]
Hiya, I will have a limited amount of space on the walls, my chopping block will live outside the shed under a tarp which adds a bit of outdoor space.

I will not be using any power tools or doing any sanding. I was thinking of a fold down bench for a work surface, but you are right it is a tiny space :-(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't have a tiny workshop now, but I did in the past.
I set it up much like a jewellers bench, with a sort of semi circular cut out and a set of drawers beneath. Racks on the wall ahead of me and to either side held tools, etc.,
The door was at the opposite end and I used the side walls to hold narrow bookcases of cheap pine. I managed to get a heck of a lot of stuff on those.
Light directly above me and falling from the left. Led lights would make battery powering those very easy indeed nowadays.
I made my bench out of half inch thick MDF. It looks lovely when it's varnished :D

Not Cooksongold's but along these lines.
https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewelle...FFLSY5BliZpR5jrQBLUaAprHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
999_7169_12.jpg

though Kernowcraft's might be closer.

https://www.kernowcraft.com/jewelle...-your-jewellers-workshop-customer-inspiration
32857.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Baigent

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
If you are going to use your workshop year round,I would advise you to insulate and line the walls and roof to give a modicum of comfort. Ply lining the walls will add rigidity to the shed and give you loads of options for screwing things to the walls.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It sure does. I managed with hardboard (two wee boys, money was 'tight' for non necessary things) and it still made an enormous difference. I did cross brace between the uprights of the walls too though, and I got hold of some of the thick polystyrene insulation sheets (just offcuts from a friend who was doing his loft) to fit in around where I sat.
Biggest draught came from the floor. Hardboard on top and the edges sealed made an enormous difference.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE