tin candle holder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I had bought one of these tin candle boxes after seeing one at a reeactment fair. I'm pleased with it, and fancied trying making one.

IMG00395-20100126-1958.jpg

I used an old biscuit tin lid and a nail for the swivel pin and a large paper clip for the hinge wire. I drew out the plan and glued it on the lid for cutting.
The tin lid material was flimsier that the "real thing", but with edges folded over is pretty good.

IMG00396-20100126-1959.jpg

I'm getting a bit better at soldering, so it's another thing to practice. Family will all get small tin boxes and cups for Christmas this year. Probably.

IMG00394-20100126-1958.jpg

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Nice work!

I had bought one of these tin candle boxes after seeing one at a reeactment fair. I'm pleased with it, and fancied trying making one.

I get loads of ideas from these fairs - great source of inspiration.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's clever John, I've got a couple of old cigar cases from my grandad which would work really well for this.

Hmmm

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Neatly done John :D I like that.
How about a fold out polished sheet in the lid ? that would give a three sided reflector, widen the light pool........or am I just being a pain :eek:

cheers,
M

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
John,

I love that, well done. I like Toddys suggestion of a third side and would also suggest that to make it more wind resistant you could add a clear plastic screen from a drinks bottle. It will be far enough away from the flame not to melt and would not add much to the weight. If you want to be all authentic you could use a piece of thin translucent hide instead of plastic.

Is the candle holder hinged to the side of the box? If so a small chain could be added to suspend the lamp from a ridge line.

Cheers

JFW

AliMck

Jan 26, 2010
Surrey
May daughter taught me a trick with an old fizzy drinks can. Cut open a two door opening in the side and bend back the "doors". Place candle or night-light inside. The light reflects beautifully and the candle stays dry too.

I know it isn't as posh as the travelling case you have but quite a useful way of utilising cans before recycling them.

Alison

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Now I wish i could do that!

If I could I'd make one of these that I saw in a museum in Lancaster

MatchBox1.JPG

For scale the sulphur matches are about 2 , 2 and a half inches long if I remember right.

ATB

Tom

Reactions: Samon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
These little tins and boxes were originally made by skilled artisans called Whitesmiths.
Not really seen nowadays or much discussed either :sigh: and when it is, it is usually considered to be soft alloy workers.

I don't even have any links for them, but as a little girl I watched an old man who was a friend of my Grandfather (and he was older than my Grandfather who had been nearly eighty when I was born) use tiny little metal tools to curl metal edges on lids and rims to make the little tin tea and sugar holders that miners carried. He made a set for my father to take camping. He made it look so easy that it was many years before I realised that bending metal smoothly was hard work :eek:

Off to have a look for patterns and links :D

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. all I can find with any patterns are for tinsmiths. I know my Grandpa's friend said it was whitesmith work though. :dunno:

Last edited:
Reactions: tiger stacker

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I think it will be easier using formers and odd pieces of metal to shape the tin round. This first go was with pliers and it shows when you look at it. Next go I plan to take my time.
I likethe look of that sulpher match box, Tombear..

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Mary patterns and links would be very good indead. Ive done some tin work, large sheet metal fabrication where the skills are similar. add that to my training in sliver smithing and i recon i could make some quite nice pieces.

I would love to have a go at one of these.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
See how that site shows hammering over an edge ? My Grandfather's old friend had a wee guide, like one of those military can openers and he just ran it along the edge and it rolled it as neat as sixpence. :approve: He kept the tools he used in a tobacco tin, they were all that small.
The nearest thing I have to that shape is the one I use to attach to the presser foot of my sewing machine to make a tiny rolled hem. It's the curve of the groove that's crucial.
I suppose it's like making wire though, if you know how and you know what you're doing, even though it needs skill and strength, it looks easy.

cheers,
Mary

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Wonderful documents! Thanks for the links.

I have great admiration for tin/white smiths and would love to do some, to that end I am picking up the tools when I can for when i pluck up the moral courage to have a go!

I've some friends in america who are profesionals, supplying the reenactment market so when ever i see interesting bits I try to take some pics, like of this mousetrap in the Nelson Museum at Monmouth

mousetrap01.JPG

Heres some stuff they made for me, excuse the props as I was having a arty moment. I've since replaced/added proper linen rope to the oil and water bottles (which like the large mug are based on those dug up at Fort Ligioner.

Tinware01.jpg

They are just finishing off a pocket tinder box for me to take the Steels Mike made.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE