Thurso

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I'm going to Thurso next week for work. I'll be in the van. Anyone Ben there and got any tips on what to do during the afternoon/evenings? TIA.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Lock your doors!

Seriously it has some seriously pretty beaches but most of them have signs to say they've had nuclear particles washed up on the beach. Whilst many ignore this and walk the beaches, and they're really beautiful, I consider them dangerous. A colleague that lives in the area has two dogs that have died of cancer of the mouth, I can't see that as a coincidence. Further along the north coast there's Smoo cave, to the south of Wick there's a wee remote fishing 'harbour' that is accessed via a long steep set of steps. Sorry I can't remember it's name. I've travelled the area extensively for work and would add caution about Berridale Braes north of Helmsdale. It's like something out of The Italian Job, go round in first or second. If you fancy coming off the coast take the inland route from Helmsdale to the north coast. It's a wonderful road through an RSPB site and I remember a few handy wild camping sites not too far off the road. Lots of deer and big reds not wee roe deer. The road is mostly single track so match your speed to how far you can see in front of you. It's all moor and likely to be wet after the weather we had last week. The temps don't look too bad beneath, 10ºC but you'll know yourself that it can get a lot colder than that locally. I used to be there a lot so it was very familiar to me and I don't remember Wick or Thurso having much to attract barring shops to re-stock and re-fuel. The fuel will be expensive btw. Duncansby head and Dunnet head are nice for a view, John o Groats to tick a box, the stacks from Duncansby head are nice for a photo. Helmsdale has an emigration statue just as you enter it. On a lay-by between Invergordon and Wick there is a stone laid with a claim that the last wolf in Scotland was killed in the area. The area surrounding the A9 is mainly farmland so not a lot of remote places to camp.
That's a bit of a ramble, any questions let me know.

Reactions: Van-Wild

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I'm going to Thurso next week for work. I'll be in the van. Anyone Ben there and got any tips on what to do during the afternoon/evenings? TIA.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Cafe tempest for food.
20.jpg

Take a trip to Orkney, if you have the time. There were some decent charity shops for a look round. The scenery and weather can be pretty bleak at this time of year. Dunnet Head is worth a visit.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnet_Head

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
There is a nice walk around the headland at Scrabster. It would be one for non windy weather. There is a series of chasms with sheer drops so be cautious.

Sandside beach near Reay is the one where particles have been found. They regularly scan the beach and remove anything found, as far as I am aware none of the other beaches have had any particles found on them. The steps mentioned previously are whaligoe steps near ulbster and they are spectacular but they are nearer to Wick than Thurso. There are loads of old historic harbours and ruined castles, plenty good surf spots if that's your thing. Wednesday evening the Comm bar in Thurso has a folk music night.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Last wolf in Scotland memorial stone is in a layby just north of Brora commemorating the the killing of the last wolf is Sutherland by the Hunter Polson. Further north before you get to Berriedale is the clearance village of Badbae with I think is worth a visit.

I passed it often but could never remember which one it was. Cheers

Reactions: naefearjustbeer
Definitely go to Orkney!
Stay at least a month to see all the good bits/wildlife/prehistory etc etc etc.
Make that two months minimum.... or longer if you can....
Orkney is a fantastic place for a visit. The food, drink and the people are brilliant. The historic stuff has been very well excavated and the visitor centres etc are all fantastic. But there are more stones, cairns, brochs and burial Chambers in Caithness. It's just that they have mostly been left under mounds of grass and are overgrown and difficult to see.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've quoted it before, and I'll say it again, "Our certain past was their very uncertain future".
Wolves were enough of an issue that spittals were built in Scotland, refuges along roadways as secure places from wolf attacks, in the 16th and 17th centuries.

I reckon folks just had had enough and dealt with the problem.

England and Wales if anything had it worse. One Welsh borderland noble had to provide 300 wolfskins a year as part of his dues......that's a lot of wolves, and it went on for year upon year too.

Reactions: SCOMAN

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE