Thinking of making a millbank bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
I have a pair of jeans that are no longer usable, but rather than throwing them away i wanted to see if i could make use of them. One of the ideas i came up with was using one of the legs for a home made millbank bag. Probably not up to scratch compared to a real one, but the denim should be good enough at filtering out most of the floating stuff. What i was wondering was if anyone had done this before, i had any plans for a bag? I was thinking of taking a leg, cutting one side longer than the other, and folding it over at the bottom in a way that still left it with a toe. Sound good?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Denim is a very loose weave compared to the tighter cottons of the original ones, It might also take an age to dry for storage. Whenever I get jeans to be recycled, I make batches of char-cloth.

However as Bilmo says, "Go for it!" there is nothing to lose - but he is being somewhat modest as his own versions of Milbank bag (The Bilbank) has received wide acclaim on the forum.

ATB

Ogri the trog

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I should imagine that it would be fine for the larger floaters but not so good for the finer stuff

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I tried this (twice) with old jeans and it didn't work out great, mainly for the reasons listed above... or it could have been my shoddy hand stiching at the time...:rolleyes:

now i'm hoping to order a Bilbank Bag from Sir Bilmo in the very near future!

Very inteested to see how this turns out for you!

Ste

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
Even using a generous portion of leg will still leave plenty over for charcloth, and even if it doesn't work i can dry it out and rip it up for char cloth after anyway, so it's no loss trying. I'll keep you updated on this, i should have it done by the weekend. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE