Theme Colour & "Thanks" button

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I just joined up at BCUSA - hi friends - and my eyes really get on with their green/brown theme colours. Our blue/white is tricky on my eyes and can "glare" for me which hurts. Is there any way I can change my own theme to a different colour? Or might we be able to go green/brown ???

Also, they have a "thanks" button at the bottom-left of each post. Very useful when you feel you want to but don't want to write a load of verbiage to get over the "your post isn't long enough" auto-stuff. Any chance we could have one too?

I tried to find more about this on the forum - surely it must have come up before? - but failed miserably :rolleyes::)

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Great suggestions; a thanks button or just a *like* button so that individual posts can show they have been liked x amount of times. Sometimes I just want to like a comment or +1 it and not actually comment. And YES to a brown and green similar the BCUK badge.

*like*

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The staff team have been looking at coloured skins for the forum recently, so a small number of coloured options are in the pipeline. However, in amongst the other distractions and day-to-day forum issues, a colour change comes quite low in the ranking of important things to do.

The idea of a "like" button has also been discussed - it is something that comes up every once in a while so it might be something for future inclusion, but as before, it is way down the list of important things to get done.

So not an overly positive reply, but it's not entirely negative either.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The staff team have been looking at coloured skins for the forum recently, so a small number of coloured options are in the pipeline. However, in amongst the other distractions and day-to-day forum issues, a colour change comes quite low in the ranking of important things to do.

The idea of a "like" button has also been discussed - it is something that comes up every once in a while so it might be something for future inclusion, but as before, it is way down the list of important things to get done.

So not an overly positive reply, but it's not entirely negative either.

ATB

Ogri the trog

I don't know Ogri and Elen, I'm a member of a couple of other forums with "LIKE" buttons and you get so many posts that are just a "Thumbs Up" symbol. It's then becomes lazy and folk don't actually talk - maybe I'm too verbose? But the reason I like it here is that the flow of conversation and information is spectacular and unusual for a message board. So a "Thumbs Down" for me if it comes to a vote. It's why this place is the best.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm no fan of the likes buttons. Posts with four or five inches of thanks names afterwards are kind of creepily sycophantic.

Colour ? I liked our older skin colours, but this one has the advantage of being clear to read and it works cleanly on hand helds, etc., some of the darker ones are truly dire on anything except main monitor screens. I know that there are plans afoot, but there are other priorities.

Sorry Elin, that all sounds terribly negative, but like the myriad of wee 'awards' given on some forums (there's a brilliant rip off one that's on the survivalist theme :D ) it ends up looking like a Russian veteran general's best jacket.

cheers,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm no fan of the likes buttons. Posts with four or five inches of thanks names afterwards are kind of creepily sycophantic.

Sorry Elin, that all sounds terribly negative, but like the myriad of wee 'awards' given on some forums (there's a brilliant rip off one that's on the survivalist theme :D ) it ends up looking like a Russian veteran general's best jacket.

cheers,
M

+1 Mary, more descriptively put than me.

Elen Sentier

Colour ? I liked our older skin colours, but this one has the advantage of being clear to read and it works cleanly on hand helds, etc., some of the darker ones are truly dire on anything except main monitor screens. I know that there are plans afoot, but there are other priorities.

cheers,
M

I quite understand about other priorities. I did say in my original post that the brown/green is better on my eyes, the current blue/white can be very harsh for me especially if I'm working at night which I often am, then it's not clear to read and hurts my eyes. i'm not advocating a dark colour scheme and I use a laptop all the time and know about how this works differently to a desk monitor screen.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I quite understand about other priorities. I did say in my original post that the brown/green is better on my eyes, the current blue/white can be very harsh for me especially if I'm working at night which I often am, then it's not clear to read and hurts my eyes. i'm not advocating a dark colour scheme and I use a laptop all the time and know about how this works differently to a desk monitor screen.

Have you tried turning your monitor/screen brightness down Elen?

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Ace, we need a thanks button because Facebook and Google Analytics doesn't know enough about us yet.
Then they can collate our wants, needs and general information and do their direct marketing more effectively.:)

Or not as the case may be.:(

Caution, this post may contain traces of sarcasm.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
In short... yeah It would be nice to alter the colour :)

But a like button... Not on your Nelly.. Id rather talk, and not be lazy.... :)..

I like like min amount of letters, I think it make you think about what you write... rather then just use an Icon...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In short... yeah It would be nice to alter the colour :)

But a like button... Not on your Nelly.. Id rather talk, and not be lazy.... :)..

I like like min amount of letters, I think it make you think about what you write... rather then just use an Icon...

Yes but it inhibits the ability to make a point by being brief. Unnecessary (and counterproductive) wordiness.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I don't know Ogri and Elen, I'm a member of a couple of other forums with "LIKE" buttons and you get so many posts that are just a "Thumbs Up" symbol. It's then becomes lazy and folk don't actually talk - maybe I'm too verbose? But the reason I like it here is that the flow of conversation and information is spectacular and unusual for a message board. So a "Thumbs Down" for me if it comes to a vote. It's why this place is the best.

This is very true, sometimes however, it is not an actual post that is created when you like somebody's comment, it is just a small number on the side of the post with +5 for example like on youtube. Some forums I have been on limit your likes to i.e. twenty a day.

Sometimes I would just like to write *I agree* or words to that effect, but I don't because it seems a shame just to write that on a post, if I could click a like button then that would be more participation, not less and perhaps there would be more people involved if they could *like* a post but not necessarily comment on it, I think there are many people on this forum who cannot or do not necessarily want to add comments but find things useful or agree with the posts they read and how nice for a poster to get for example +50 likes for giving us an amazing piece of advice. It would be great for such things as voting on photo competitions too.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We have polls on the photo competitions to accumulate votes, and by it's very nature this forum was set up as a place to keep in touch, to meet others with similar interests, to discuss and to pass on information.
It only works if people actually 'talk'. Otherwise it'd just be a list of predictive text messages.

Many of the threads, once the original post has been replied to, end up in a kind of rambling conversation; I semi jokingly call the place the virtual campfire, but like the company around the campfire the conversation does range from the sublime to the ridiculous. The only difference is that anyone can get a word in edgeways :D
In real life I'm quietly spoken :rolleyes: :D

atb,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Surely if someone's taken the time to post something noteworthy or thought provoking it's worth the energy and good manners enough to actually reply too? If you don't care that much just ignore it. On other forums the list of "Thumbs Up" emoticons with nothing else written is soul destroying. There is no dialog and a distinct lack of ideas being sparked off the way only active discussion does.

There is always the option of typing "+1 to that" though a wee note of why as well is nice.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
i'll make sure that this option is still available, it's a clean straight forward skin that many actually like, the new ones will have quite a few colour options while staying clean. The hold up is one of the skin developers, I asked for some tweaks that were supposed to take little time and they're taking ages...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE