The weekends fun!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
well, with the beautiful weather we have had here, ive spent as much time in the woods as i can. went to savernake forest for a walk with my little girl friday after noon and we stopped and had some food. its the first time i have been up since the storms and there were a fair few large trees down and some large pieces of oak just hanging around.

then saturday i took my little one out again as id spotted an area on sat photos that looked good for a few nights camping. one of the first trees i came to had a whole load of horses hoof(at least im 99% sure it is) growing on it. its the first time ive ever seen it growing before, this comes just after a very kind soul has posted me some from scotland as i didnt think id ever find any here. the one growing higher up is about 3 foot across!

i also found some downed trees with a lot of pine blisters on them, so i had an hour spare today and went up and recovered some fresh pine resin. no pics of this though. however next time im taking latex gloves and NOT using my more to puncture them and is covered in sap. any ideas on how to remove the sap greatly appreciated!

also went on a date for the first time in years with the mrs minus the kids! and then went on a steam train today! great weekend all in all

Last edited by a moderator:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Good stuff mate! For the sap some fairy liquid a bit of white spirit and a scourerpad will get it off, the give it a dry and let it air off a bit, should be fine! :)

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
forgot to add, saturday morning i got the lad to try his hand at making fire, he struggled to get decent accurate sparks with the ferro rod and as a result couldnt get the birch bark to light, but he did manage it with char cloth and cramp balls, both resulted in fire! i thought he did well for his first go. also grabbed our flint and stell kits that turned up friday lunchtime and he had a go with that this afternoon but couldnt get sparks :( then family dinner happened so will have to try again next week

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
sound like a good weekend me and a buddy went foraging on the shore regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE