The Ponds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thought id show a few before and after pics of the fishing ponds i look after, the left hand pictures were taken in 2007 during the last phase of redeveloping and enlarging the ponds, we had already completed three other ponds before hitting this final one, the right hand photos were taken last Saturday.

All of the trees you see were planted by hand as whips, bar the Willows which self seed like nobody's business and are the bain of my life up there, i've tried to marry the view point as close as possible to the original.

If you went up there now you would never guess it an old brick works.

b4 3 by Mark Emery, on Flickr

b4 1 by Mark Emery, on Flickr

b4 2 by Mark Emery, on Flickr

and yep, that silly bugger standing in the water planting Reedmace and Flag Iris is me, if i took one step backwards its six foot deep

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A lot of thought, patience and hard work went into that :)
It looks absolutely excellent though :cool:
Very well done, I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come too.

Willow .....is there not a local basketmaking group ? or someone who demonstrates at days/festivals/countryside events who might happily come and keep them coppiced down for you ?

M

Reactions: Kepis

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
A lot of thought, patience and hard work went into that :)
It looks absolutely excellent though :cool:
Very well done, I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come too.

Willow .....is there not a local basketmaking group ? or someone who demonstrates at days/festivals/countryside events who might happily come and keep them coppiced down for you ?

M

Yup, lots of hard work by myself and the volunteers who go above and beyond to help keep the place up to par, i've been helping to look after the place for at least 25 years, then was part of the core group who redeveloped it and i've been legally responsible for it since 2008, one of my key management strategies is to make the place as friendly to wildlife as it is anglers.

We currently have 129 species of native plants (verified by the local Botanical Recording Society who did the survey) and 60+ species of birds including migrant species, we also have Deer come in for a drink now and again and sooo many insects and butterflies you cant keep up with them, not too mention the vast number of small mammals, some welcome, some not ;-)

No basket making groups round here i'm afraid, i did offer the willow to a local lady who weaves baskets, but she never took us up on the offer of free materials, some of the Willow gets recycled into my carving and cordage piles though, most of it is pretty manky though as the anglers have a tendency to just snap off bits or fold over shoots that get in their way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE