The perfect bushcraft soap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As some of you know, amongst my many other "kitchen chemistry" projects, I enjoy the occasional foray into soap making. Following on from previous threads, I have been toying for a while with producing a perfect soap for Bushcraft purposes.

What does that mean? Well, it must serve a variety of purposes, be ethically produced (and since I'll be making it, that means ethical ingredients), contain no harmful products etc.

I have played with a number of combinations and my current thoughts are running as folows

Ingredients:

My current experiments are vegetable based since some are uncomfortable with animal products. I also always avoid palm oil which, as an ingredient, produces very fine soap. However palm oil is produced in massive monoculture plantations and is, in my view, one of those avoidable monoculture crops that negatively impacts biodiversity.

I am experimenting with various proportions of vegetable materials therefore including basic vegetable suet, olive oil, corn oil, coconut oil (which produces a soap every bit as good as plam oil in my view) etc.

I am looking to produce a soap which is suitable for use as a shampoo bar, soap and, if desired, clothes washing. I would like to incorporate some additional materials to provide an antiseptic property and, if possible, some mild insect repellant properties.

I am currently working on a hard vegetable soap, quick to lather that contains citronella and teatree essential oils and some of my own dried organic herbs to give a little extra zest and a mildly "scrubby" texture. This is suitable for hair, body or laundry use. Being entirely vegetable based it would be very low impact enviromentally (in use and in production)

I know its an odd topic, but what would make a perfect bushcraft soap for you?

Red

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
All of the above sounds good to me.
put me down for a bar if you want a tester I love homemade soap. my neighbour used to make their own that was great when i was younger. i just wish I paid more attention to the things i saw when I was a nipper as I am kicking myself now as i want to know it all now ;)
Greg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Soap making is, in theory, not particularly complex Greg. It does need safe handling since it uses some powerful chemicals and exothermic reactions (concentrated alkalis capable of causing chemical burns combined with hot oils is a bit dodgy). It does need care since its temperature critical to get consistent results and a bit of an oddball in that, to achieve a really good new recipe you have to make several batches some of which fail (obviously).

I'd be happy to have a tester or two when I get the right product - its a long process developing though since each batch has to "cure" for a month before use. I plan to whomp up a few small batches over the next few weeks and have them ready for use by the end of November. I'd be really interested to hear what people would like in such a thing so that I can try a few formulations out.

Red

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I am a huge fan of coal tar soap.....more commonly known as sheep dip around here. its great stuff and even gets gearbox oil out of my hand / face/ arms well everywhere lol. Anything that gets gearbox oil out is good in my book. It would be a pleasure to test a bar for you and provide feedback.
We go through so much soap in this house what with me being the only bloke in a house full of women, I would love a bar of stuff just for me. The SWMBO daughters all use clinque and all that junk. So if you want a tester who has the most sensitive skin in the world I will let SWMBO's daughter use it and we will know in a couple of days if there is anything needs changing.
** WARNING GOING OFF TOPIC HERE**
I wish I had the time to learn everything that get discussed on here but alas uni and work stops play also I am just trying to keep up with all the good stuff you guys are doing.
One thing I am currently doing tho is building a bar in the garage for all the home brew that you lot have re inspired me to make. Might even have a mini meet in the garage in the interest of foraged alcohol :lmao:.
Greg

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If your bushcraft activities include tracking, then the inclusion of anise oil in the soap making will help mask the human scent, apart from that, everything else sounds great.

Red, I have a spreadsheet with the saponification values of every type of fat or oil (including human fat in case you know somebody who works in a liposuction clinic). I'll send you a copy if you're interested.

Eric

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Red, I have a spreadsheet with the saponification values of every type of fat or oil (including human fat in case you know somebody who works in a liposuction clinic). I'll send you a copy if you're interested.

Eric

Getting all a bit fight club here :D ........gets out my dictionary to find out what saponification means........feeling a bit thick here:nana:

Greg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay Greg, you just got appointed asthe first tester - expect a bar near christmas ;)

I can always do a soap for very sensitive skins but its a trade off with the more active ingredients - stuff like teatree oil is fantastic as an anti-bacteria but some people can react to it. If I ever find myself bored in the dark season I'll do a batch based on calendula infused almond oil for your lass - its gentle enough to be used as a baby soap - not very bushcrafty though :)

I'll put me thinking head on for a real grease cutter for you :)

Red

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
This sounds interesting to me .. I wouldn't have the first clue of what to put into soap but I do know that I react to most of the various soaps i've tried (nothing too serious though), i'm thinking a natural product might be the way to go.

One question though Red, does it really need to lather easily? I would've thought that was cosmetic/psycological more than anything.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Cool great stuff.....a bar of soap just for meeeeeeeeee !!!!!! OMG I am sad, it doesnt take much to make me happy :rolleyes: .
Its SWMBO daughter who is soooooooooooooooooooo fussy, fair enough as she comes out in a major rash even if we just change washing powder from fairy non-bio.

getting giddy now ..........does a little dance......

Greg

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
One question though Red, does it really need to lather easily? I would've thought that was cosmetic/psycological more than anything.

It helps when you use it for shaving as i do. A good soapy mush is better than a load of bubbles. That doesnt make sence and i know what i am on about S.orry

Greg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If your bushcraft activities include tracking, then the inclusion of anise oil in the soap making will help mask the human scent, apart from that, everything else sounds great.

Eric

Brilliant tip with the anise oil Eric - I'll give that a go in a plain unscented base - thank you!

I do have saponification charts but an electronic one woud be very handy so yes please!

Greg - saponification is the chemical reaction between an alkali and a fat which make soap - it can be fairly strong. The alkali is generally caustic soda or lye. a different amount of alkali is needed for each type of fat. Too much and the soap is caustic and can burn the skin. Too little and it wont "trace" (set) and is basically soapy fat. The chart gives proportions for each fat. The best soaps are usually a blend of fats and so a bit of maths comes in to play!

Twofower. Fair point on the lather - i was thinking something that would clean well but in a fairly hard bar (we don't want a load of mush in our bergan). Good point

BOD - is monoculture palm planting big in your area? I've seen some frightening pictures of the clearence and plantations but never seen them in real life :(

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It helps when you use it for shaving as i do. A good soapy mush is better than a load of bubbles. That doesnt make sence and i know what i am on about S.orry

Greg

Don't be sorry. Shaving soap is something I hadn't thought of. Genius! I'll work on that aspect!

Red

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Must admit I raised an eyebrow at the priority given to lathering, but if it's a natural lathering agent I suppose no reason not to. I'd be looking for a sensitive skin soap I'd admit.

H

Heathenpeddler

How about lime or other citrus types for the degreaser? One of the best bike chain degreasers I remember from my MTB days was a natural product made from lime/citrus fruits. Is there any way you could use that? (says the total soap novice :) )

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Greg - saponification is the chemical reaction between an alkali and a fat which make soap - it can be fairly strong. The alkali is generally caustic soda or lye. a different amount of alkali is needed for each type of fat. Too much and the soap is caustic and can burn the skin. Too little and it wont "trace" (set) and is basically soapy fat. The chart gives proportions for each fat. The best soaps are usually a blend of fats and so a bit of maths comes in to play!

Red

Ahhhhhhhh i see its the mixing properties so it sets and gets hard but still soft......

Greg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, lime, lemon or even grapefruit (I make a citrus shower soap thats a real eye opener in the morning). I reckon a citrus soap cut with a good exfoliant (ground coffee would work well or fine oatmeal). You might be on to something there HP.

When you say "sensitive skin" Mirius is there anything in particular that causes you problems?

This input is fantastic guys - really makes life interesting!

Red

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
(I make a citrus shower soap thats a real eye opener in the morning). I reckon a citrus soap cut with a good exfoliant (ground coffee would work well or fine oatmeal). You might be on to something there HP.

This input is fantastic guys - really makes life interesting!

Red

The best shampoo for WAKING me up is head and shoulders menthol if thats any help.
so maybe a menthol version......dont know anything about soap so dont even know if its possible.

Greg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE