1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day Out The Fallen Oak (pt4) - Cooking Honey Glazed Chicken For Dinner

Discussion in 'Out and About' started by Tank, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Tank

Tank Full Member

Good evening all.

Since my last fallen oak post I have returned a few times, so this will once again be a post containing multiple visits.

As the camp was developing nicely I felt it was time to have another meal that didn't come out of a packet that just required water.

On the way to the woods I stopped off and purchased a small chicken. Whilst walking into camp I gather a few bits as I walled in

Burdock leaves for preparing the chicken on, roots for binding and some kindling to get a fire going.

[​IMG]

Whilst the fire was burning down to the coals required I prepared the things I would need to cook the chicken over the fire.

[​IMG]

Removing outter back from the roots for binding.

[​IMG]

Split stick to hold the chicken in

[​IMG]

And two thinned down sticks to hold the chicken in place over the fire.

[​IMG]

The burdock leaves were used as a preparation surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fire management was key to cook the chicken all the way through, the chicken was cooked over coals while a separate fire was used to generate coals to feed under the chicken when needed.

Trying to multi task I started gathering leaf matter to cover the debris shelter. Using the mors kochanski survival scarf made by Neil1

[​IMG]

The survival scarf was useful for this task as I was able to gather a large amount of leaf matter with out walk to and from the shelter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whilst working on the shelter I continued to monitor to fire and chicken. The below photo shows the fire lay employed for cooking

[​IMG]

Cooking photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TBC

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

#1 Tank, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Billy-o likes this.
  2. Tank

Tank Full Member

The second visit was more time spent on the shelter, still unfinished but getting there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Snufkin, BadUncleBob, meggark and 2 others like this.
  3. Buckshot

Buckshot Mod
    Mod

That chicken looks so brill Tim - well done.
    the other way I've seen a chicken cooked is with bendy sticks and create a paddle like a tennis racket or carpet thumper of the the kind our grandparents used. then insert the chicken between the coils to hold it over the fire.

Fire management is key as you say and the keyhole fire style you used is a great way to regulate the cooking heat and still make the replacement coals needed during the cooking time.

I really love the way you make good the fire scar each time. it takes time and effort to clear up but it makes the site much better and shows the correct attitude IMO
    :encourage:

4. Tank

Tank Full Member

Thanks Mark, are you referring to the broiler style green stick cooking? I have cooked meats such as steak and bacon on one but nothing bigger for fear of the sticks burning through before the meal is fully cooked.

[​IMG]

Even though the camp breaks the leave no trace rule I would normally go by I do clean the fire site at the end of each visit, I feel like the effort is worth it (it a shame there is no close by water source to use but I carrying it additional water to ensure the site is safe when I leave)

[​IMG]

Snufkin likes this.
  5. Buckshot

Buckshot Mod
    Mod

Similar yes but instead of the horizontal sticks, the edges twist round and round like the old fashioned carpet beater.
    i guess your way is easier though. you could do two and sandwich the chicken in the middle tying the edges so it's easy to turn over without loosing the food.
    Having lots of options to do the same thing is always a good idea.

6. Tank

Tank Full Member

I did think about that when you mentioned it. Maybe one go try in the future.

Options are always good

7. Tony

Tony White bear (Admin)
    Admin

Great stuff, I love seeing pics of life in the woods. Looks like you've got a great location there goodjob

8. Tank

Tank Full Member

I love the place. Good feel to the woods.

9. Russell96

Russell96 Forager

Cracking pictures!

Tank likes this.