The best kit from each army in your opinion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Ok so what do you think are the best bits of kit from each armed forces
Ie, Swedish for me is the trangia cooking kit and the frosts mora.
American - White bunny boot with inflatable valve for up to minus 50 degrees.
Etc
It would be nice to know what you think is the best of the best to use in bushcraft and outdoor adventures the wold over.
Plus it gives me something to read and research when i get home tonight at 2am after work. :D

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I'm Canadian (eh?) so that mean I'm biased. But since you asked the question, Bilko I'll answer it as best as I can.

1) Mk.3 combat boots. There's a rumour that they might be replaced and eventually, taken outta the system and that would be really sad. MK.3's are probably the toughest army boot out there, and I mean it. CF grunts tend to call them "Black Cadillacs" and sometimes put Vibram soles on them with money out of their own pocket.

2) CF combat dress. Or just "combats." I think I wrote about these before in an earlier post. Why are they good? They have slotted/taped buttons. I think you might that SAS smocks have them too. And the fabric is...outstanding. 50/50 cotton nylon. But like Ventile, the secret's in the weave. It has three layers: A middle layer of loosely woven nylon, backed on both sides by cotton in an aertex twill weave.

Personally, that's about the limit as to how far I go when I'm doing bushcraft. Anything more than that and I'm afraid I'll look like a Rambo wannabe. I don't even wear a combat shirt out there, just an old pair of CF greens a pair of boots. And that leads me to my next best piece of kit:

3) Improved US Army jungle boots: Just like the ones in from the Vietnam conflict, but with uppers made of cordura nylon and not cotton duck. And also a speed lace system coupled with a decent pair of insoles. Mine are starting to look REALLY rugged and beat up as they're my favourite summer bushcraft boot. When it starts getting colder and muddier, I pull out the Mk.3's.

Okay, I'm done. That's enough of a post.

Adam

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
I have used, abused and maintained most kit that the Swedish Army has, and the list is long of the things that are good. There is a reason why people like Ray Mears and Mors Kochanski use and recommend stuff from the swedish army.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Crusader mug / cooker for me... Great little bit of kit.

I'm also developing a fondness for PLCE webbing. I wore a reduced set (just a waterbottle pouch, double ammo pouch, FAK, knife, and occasionally camera) for most of the time on my last trip out, and it worked really well - comfortable enough not to really notice, even with an axe through the belt and a folding saw through the radio lead guide on one shoulder, but no more of that "where have a left my mug / torch / bit of string" nonsense - and I also avoided the dreaded Bulging Pockets Syndrome (you know, the one where nearly everything finds it's way into your trouser pockets until you can barely walk)...

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Wouldn't we be better off asking our serving soldiers?
After all, they have the best knowledge of other people's kit.
They have to borrow it all! :rolleyes:

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I`ve only been in the Norwegian army and I have only one thing to say about military equipment; the reason I ever use it is that it is cheap, not that it is so good. One can get civil equipment that s much better.
I recon this is the case with military equipment all over the world.
The military equipment from 40-50`s are another issue. That was really good equipment, ment to last more than a week of Blitz-krieg.

Tor

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Tor helge said:
I`ve only been in the Norwegian army and I have only one thing to say about military equipment; the reason I ever use it is that it is cheap, not that it is so good. One can get civil equipment that s much better.
I recon this is the case with military equipment all over the world.
The military equipment from 40-50`s are another issue. That was really good equipment, ment to last more than a week of Blitz-krieg.

Tor
Ive a pair of Norwegian army boots,very comfy they are too!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Ah, forgot the US 2 litre bottle with shoulder strap. The fakes are ok, but don't last long. The genuine ones are a kind of rubbery plastic and thus crushable to fit in the rucksack easier til needed. I always hike with one around my neck.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Having spent 20 years in the US Army, I would say the jungle boots, nylon poncho, poncho liner, reversible Gore-Tex parka (day desert/night desert) from the US.
From Sweden, the Silva Swedish miitary model compass. Mora knives.
From Australia, the "hootchie".
From the UK, water flask, cup and cooker.
Actually, I seldom use any military equipment. I do still use the poncho liner and poncho and Swedish military compass and Mora Clipper. Oh, occasionally the US jungle boots.
That really is about it for me.

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
Canadian Forces rain gear, my combats all of them, US alice pack, bayonette on the M1 from korea ( i don' t know the designation, a Navy officer gave it to my dad in the 60's and he gave it to me.) CF snow shoes. british Enfield rifle (.303) mk3 boots - better than my runners. CF wooly pully CF issue boonie hat.

bout it for now

dean

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
both types of Swedish army stoves: Enmanskök can be used over open fire too, while Jägarkök is a lot faster

for groups the big Thermette (NZ) must be fantastic.

using Esbit/Hexi stoves the way they´re issued (without extra windshield) is stupid IMHO

German army: poncho, knife

French combat rations

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE