The ‘F’ word (Fjällraven)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
hello all,

I own a pair of ‘Fjällraven G1000 trousers and aside from them not being too warm without thermals, they do everything else well enough. So while looking for a good tough outer layer which could take a snag from a pine tree or spark from fire without losing the plot and a good warm fleece mid layer, I thought i’d find out more about the No8 Anorak. It seems to be very popular and all of the videos i’ve seen are very positive but I’d prefer to hear opinions from forum members.

It’s going to be used much of the time while out in the generally damp woods in the UK for animal spotting and bushcrafting, so it also needs to offer reliable waterproof abilities. This would mean waxing it and as I already have a waxed Barbour jacket, I was wondering if a waxed No8 would be the same sort of thing or a better idea. The only issues with my barbour is that I can’t wear a decent fleece mid layer under it and that it takes a while to dry out. I like the idea and look of canvas and leather but I don’t know much about Fjällraven jackets.

Has anyone got any personal experience of this No8 anorak or recommendations for another jacket that would do the job? Ventile? Country Innovations? The jacket needs to have enough room to layer underneath it and be fairly hard wearing.

Then fleeces as mid layers or stand alone jackets. Any recommendations?

Many thanks and hope you have had a good weekend,

Darryl

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I recommend the classic Helly Hansen fleeces. Tough, easy to wash, have two different ”warming” levels.
Unfortunately, like most companies, they now cater to the fashionistas, and only one product is similar to the classics.
Google Helly Hansen Heritage Pile jacket.

Of course, the best is a hand knitted woolen jumper, with horn buttons and leather patches on the elbows!

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
You may laugh but I was also looking at Norwegian Woollen Jumpers!! I like the style but waxing one might not be a great idea;)

If there’s a bustle in your hedgerow, don’t be alarmed now, it’s just a sprinkling for the May Queen.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i love my FR Singi jacket (as i've probably mentioned several times already on this forum, lol). It takes a bit of time and care to build the wax levels up to a decent point for uk weather, but i find it comfortable, spacious, practical and hard wearing. So much so, it has totally replaced my country innovation ventile jacket. Sayng that, the ventile jacket was great, also hard wearing, and comfortable and more waterproof (without any of the waxing care). i just prefer the fit of the singi. Fjellraven kit is very marmite though and a good percentage of their stuff is made for the fashion market. But if you stick to the classic gear, i love it.
As for wearing stuff underneath, i seem to have regressed back to good old fashioned woollen jumpers. Lambs wool is lovely and warm and soft, merino easy to care for. As Janne said, Dale make some lovely ones (at a price), but you can pick up bargains this time of year or on evil bay. Have a look at some of the hunting companies (Seeland, Deerstalker, Pinewood), they all do a good range of fleeces and jumpers at good prices.

Oats-1983

Sep 23, 2017
N.Ireland
Was in a similar predicament last year in relation wether to go for a no.8 smock. Having tried on a number of jackets I ended up going for a Swazi Kagoule. Definitely worth considering. Have been out in torrential wind rain and snow and have been completely dry. Also extremely hard wearing.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Now I may veer of the Fjällräven path, but when I lived in UK I saw some truly fantastic jackets and similar in hunting/shooting shops. UK made, nominally having a degree of water resistancy. Wool.

Do not remember any brands though.

Expensive yes, but on the level of Fjällräven.

To be frank, I wore Fjällräven back home in Sweden, but wore Barbour in UK. Now when I go to Norway, it is FR again.

Maybe in my brain, but the British brands feel more ’right’ in the English autumn and early spring climate!

Of course the next couple of days FR with a thick woolen jumper seems to be correct for you!
Snow on the way?

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
Thanks for the incredible replies. Perhaps i’m asking too much from one thing?
I can see a lot of searching the web is going to happen.
Keep ‘em coming.

Best wishes,

Darryl

If there’s a bustle in your hedgerow, don’t be alarmed now, it’s just a sprinkling for the May Queen.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I do not think you are asking too much.

I have a Grönlands jacka ( greenland jacket?) since 40? Years.
G1000 fabric. If todays quality is the same - fantastic. Same applies to our Barbour. Used hugely for 10 years.

I think if you go with these classic brands, you will not tegret it.

Yes, I aldo have had modern jackets. Modern materials. Cheaper.
The first part that breaks usually is the zip. If the zip is ok, then the exterior pocket will tip off. Then get intimate with a bush - fabric damaged.

The G1000 is not kevlar. But pretty close. Same with the Barbour cotton.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK

Excuse me (while I kiss this guy! :emoji_kiss:) mentioning it but I’ve been doing a hedgelaying course recently and the old timer running the course was very clear about hedgerow etiquette - most May (and possibly other) Queens are not averse to a bit of a tidy up around time of the vernal equinox but only very kinky ones are into “sprinkling”! :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
Excuse me (while I kiss this guy! :emoji_kiss:) mentioning it but I’ve been doing a hedgelaying course recently and the old timer running the course was very clear about hedgerow etiquette - most May (and possibly other) Queens are not averse to a bit of a tidy up around time of the vernal equinox but only very kinky ones are into “sprinkling”! :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m glad someone got the reference. Is hedgelaying the literal meaning of bushcraft? ;)

“In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees and the voices of those who stand looking.”

There’s still time.... :)

Ps. Careful what you think you’re sprinkling on as it could be someone doing bushcraft. ;)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If you were looking at Fjellraven kit, what alternatives at similar prices / performance are there? I mean kit that's made in other places than China / se Asia. Any Scandinavian made kit at similar prices? Or other European made kit?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Barbour Beaufort £200 - 220 online no hood

Fjällräven Grönlands jacket ( includes hood) £235

That is just an example, as they have different uses. I would never take the Barbour with a backpack for walking in the mountains.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Darryl, do a quick search on here for Fjallraven Anorak 8, enter Nice65 in the Posted by Member box. It’ll turn up a few of my views. I don’t find the search function as good as it used to be, but it does work if it’s fed the right info.

My opinion of the 8 is it’s neither water or windproof, not suited to British weather as it was built for dry snow with only the shoulders and elbows being G1000 and able to take wax. Out of the package, G1000 isn’t waterproof but will take wax. I’ve posted a bit about my views, and mileage does vary across the forum. To my mind and usage here, it’s ridiculously overpriced, and no more than a fashion item. You will look fantastic, but be cold and wet.

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/fjällräven-or-swazi-smock.150739/

This, by John Fenna, a reviewer of some distinction and lover of biltong, is telling. :D

fjallraven no. 8 - what is your opinion ???? should I ???

While you’re in search mode, look at the Twodogs Rain Shield. Amazing wax cotton hard shell, won’t break the bank, your wife won’t break your legs, win win :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE