Tentipi Waterproofing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I'm just back from another 2 weeks in Scotland with my Tentipi Varrie 7 cp. It performed great as usual except that the material has lost its waterproofness in a few places.

I just rang Stunning Tents (who I bought it from) but the official Tentipi impregnating agent (5 litres) costs £91.50 plus £15 postage! Eek!

I know that Tentipi don't recommend anything else (Nikwax etc just coats the surface rather than absorbing in, or something) but has anyone else used either the official stuff or any alternatives? Or could I buy a 1l pot and just fill in the gaps rather than recoating the whole lot?

Cheers.

Mark

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Fabsil should be cheaper and its designed for canvas. Dont know if its ok for Tentipi tho. Id hate to recommend something that might damage it.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
The stuff they use, Acapella ?, sounds odd. They don't sell it in the winter months as it can be damaged by frost.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I think if I ordered it now I'll be ok (no frosts yet in Surrey and the tent will be packed up for the winter once the coating is dry).

If anyone knows if (a) I can just patch it with a smaller bottle of the recommended stuff or (b) use Fabsil etc I would be most grateful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE