Tent, Open Fire and 1 Tarp Shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
Folks,

Im about to set off soon for a 2 nighter. The met ofice has issued a minor weather warning so I'm expecting gusts of up to 40 and heavy rain on saturday.

Ok with that said I have a 3 man dome tent..and 3 x 3 DD tarp.

I dont want to be stuck in the tent all the time, so the advice Im hoping to get (cos Ive little experience of my own) is what should I do?

A) Reinforce the tent with the tarp to provide extra protection? maybe create a larger vestibule area to put a small cooking fire?

B) Make a separate area with the tarp to be able to sit outside in the dry and cook nearby? A shape design or lean to?

Any advice is welcomed.

Not going isnt an option :)

Last edited:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Sounds like a perfect opportunity to do some testing, if you have time try all three setups for a short while to see what works best for you. The only way any of us know anything is by going out and getting wet :)

although having said that I'd go with a larger vestibule area or set up very close to the tent to allow standing room.

If you're near trees be careful with the wind...

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
If your tent can't cope with the rain you need another tent. The point of a tent is to provide you with a warm dry sleeping space.

I would use the tarp to create a sheltered dry area near your fire for cooking and general camp activity. You wound get much joy peering out your tent at a downpour for two days but sitting under your tarp watching the fire whittling a spoon with a brew is a joy.

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
Sounds like a perfect opportunity to do some testing, if you have time try all three set-ups for a short while to see what works best for you. The only way any of us know anything is by going out and getting wet :)

although having said that I'd go with a larger vestibule area or set up very close to the tent to allow standing room.

If you're near trees be careful with the wind...

Good attitude, I will take your advice and experiment a bit. Thanks for the tip about the trees, yeah I'm a bit concerned about that, but I need the trees for the tarp...I will do my best to make sure there robust enough. I have my wife's safety to think about too so safety tips are always welcome.

If your tent can't cope with the rain you need another tent. The point of a tent is to provide you with a warm dry sleeping space.

I would use the tarp to create a sheltered dry area near your fire for cooking and general camp activity. You wound get much joy peering out your tent at a downpour for two days but sitting under your tarp watching the fire whittling a spoon with a brew is a joy.

Its an old tent, but barely used and tbh I think/hope it'll be up to the job, just not sure. I also read that in heavy rain most tents ground sheets will begin to get sodden, not sure how true this is. In any case I ordered a new tent this week for back packing purposes. Big Agnes Copper Spur. Its got some nice reviews so I hope that'll be OK in the future.
Moving on to to your advice ref shelter. I think tonight (the higher winds but less rain) I will experiment with a few ideas i.e., reinforce the vestibule area, and tomorrow forecasted for low winds but heavy rainfall I will go with your idea.

Do you think the A shape design or lean to/ slanted design works best, there will be two of us and I recognise its a smallish tarp.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
A simple plough point configuration, with the back to the wind, will be ample room for two, using a 3x3.

1470.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE