Tatonka Billy Can Lids.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomadliam

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2016
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I've just received my first Tatonka 1.6L Billy can and from first impressions it looks and feels great, I cant wait to get the smaller one so I can start using it for breads etc.

I really like the locking handle design and may try to replicate something on my zebra can if I can, Although, one thing I have noticed is that the lid is really loose & rattle's a lot, is this normal?

If so what have any of you guys done to remedy it? I found that putting a tea towel over the pot & putting the lid on was a sound fit with no movement, but I'm hesitant to have to do that to both while they are nested.

Thanks in advance!

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have the 1.0,1.6,2.5 and 4.0 and they all nest well but the outermost lid still rattles a little. I have a long strap from a trangia set to keep them together. Also when in a stuff sack and twisted tight it stops the noise.

I have the 1.0L nested inside the 1.6L as my standard campfire/ base camp cook kit (and using the 1.0L to bake inside the 1.6L, dutch oven stylee works very well). These, with their frying pan lids, are the most versatile billies out there in my opinion.

Both of mine live in there own stuff sacks to retain the soot. I also keep scrubbies and cloths in the gaps of the larger and brew kit/ alcohol back up/ more cloths in the smaller.

With both billies full and cinched down in their stuff sacks, I don't get any lid rattle.

Nomadliam

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2016
United Kingdom
I hadn't thought about nesting them inside stuff sacks /drawstring pouches, I'll have to get the sewing kit out.

I really like the design of these Billy's, the zebra I have is great too, but takes up an awkward space in my kit bag.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I have the 1.0L nested inside the 1.6L as my standard campfire/ base camp cook kit (and using the 1.0L to bake inside the 1.6L, dutch oven stylee works very well). These, with their frying pan lids, are the most versatile billies out there in my opinion.
Both of mine live in there own stuff sacks to retain the soot. I also keep scrubbies and cloths in the gaps of the larger and brew kit/ alcohol back up/ more cloths in the smaller.
With both billies full and cinched down in their stuff sacks, I don't get any lid rattle.

I hadn't thought about nesting them inside stuff sacks /drawstring pouches, I'll have to get the sewing kit out.
I really like the design of these Billy's, the zebra I have is great too, but takes up an awkward space in my kit bag.

Just thought I'd add my 2p's worth about the Zebra billy I don't have a Tatonka billy but use the Tatonka Meths stove
Post #8 :- http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138343

Nomadliam

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2016
United Kingdom
That's a great way of packing the zebra QDanT - I really like the mini grater & tongs! I guess the space isn't wasted this way, I normally have my trangia burner in my zebra wrapped in some leather gloves that I use for pot handling - It's not ideal but works.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE