Tarp set ups

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I have tended to use a standard wind shed set up – see tarp tutorial on DD hammocks for illustration:

http://www.ddhammocks.com/tips/tarp-tutorial

but fancied a go at something a bit different so went to the DD tarp tutorial and chose the Adirondack Wind Shed.

I used a 3m x 3m tarp but for me the protection was too small, as I wanted to use it with a camp bed

CIMG6179.JPG

So I had a think and decided to double up and use a second 3m x 3m tarp I have.

The set up was the same as the Adirondack Wind Shed except that the back corner was pulled out instead of being folded inside

CIMG6188.JPG

The other side was a mirror image

CIMG6194.JPG

I used two poles inside to give some height, and there was plenty

CIMG6185.JPG

However getting my Mule trailer inside, along with the campbed and a rucksack tripod would have been a bit of a tight squeeze.

So I am off to the wood tomorrow to try an open set up combining a 4.5m x 3m DD tarp with a 3m one

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Mate, your original set up looks very 'baggy'. You could peg out those back mid points to be a lot tauter. There's enough sag to put in a pole to raise the roof fall off too. But a larger tarp will do a better job. Using two tarps will give you a rain weak spot right down the middle. Still thanks for the pics and a new thought process.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Shewie and Steve - thanks for your comments

Mate, your original set up looks very 'baggy'. You could peg out those back mid points to be a lot tauter. There's enough sag to put in a pole to raise the roof fall off too. But a larger tarp will do a better job. Using two tarps will give you a rain weak spot right down the middle. Still thanks for the pics and a new thought process.

Yes - agreed - what I hadn't made clear in my OP was that this was an exercise in the garden. I did pull out the sides by hand to check that it could have been taughter and actually pegged one side down to confirm that.

Re weak spot down the middle - on the actual roof there is a significant overlap - the triangular bits - and down the sides I used klingons. Overall I thought the weather fastness (?) would be ok but didn't actualy test it - as it didn't rain and I couldn't be bothered to get out a hosepipe.

Re why not use a cheapo tent, well several reasons:
  • I have decided to improve my skills this year and one area is use of tarps (not bothering with natural shelters as in practice not much opportunity to make them) so I want to be familiar with different set ups - I have to say inspired in particular by Steve's (Mesquite), Phil's (Decorum) and Gary's (Wayland)
  • I really enjoyed experimenting with a different set up so - just having fun is another good reason
  • I have a cheap tent already and prefer a tarp
  • The tent wouldn't be big enough to include the rucksack tripod and Mule trailer
When I went back inside (didn't actually use the set up overnight) I played about with bits of paper to work out another set up and - as I said - am off to the woods to practice firelighting and use of a different set up with 4.5 x 3 and 3x 3 tarps, and coming back to 5 hour roasted lamb prepared by Higher Management - so looks like a good day instore. Hope so

Last edited:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I like the camp bed.
Tarpology is nice, with the DD tarp you have many more tie points than my Tatonka one.

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

maybe you could elaborate on this? This is a 3 x 3 tarp but you could always attach a porch type bit to the front of it! Its give alot of coverage and it can be raised or lowed..

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Ok - been and come back and had a very succesful four hours or so.

First of all the tarp set up ...

The paper model looked like this:

CIMG6232.JPG

and actual set up started like this

CIMG6196.JPG

and developed into:

CIMG6197.JPG

CIMG6198.JPG

CIMG6199.JPG

CIMG6200.JPG

CIMG6203.JPG

looked quite impressive from a distance!

CIMG6208.JPG

More importantly it gives plenty of space for the stuff I want to shelter. Definitely worth trying as a live set up, but with more pegs than I used in this trial.

I then had a go at firelighting, using feather sticks.

I had collected dead wood for future fire use and selected a piece for feather sticks - reasonably long and no knots

CIMG6209.JPG

but hadn't realised it was elder - which I believe is a good choice for fires

CIMG6210.JPG

I made some feather sticks - not brilliant eg some broke off - but plenty of curls and good enough for practical purposes

CIMG6214.JPG

I collected some twigs ready for use

CIMG6215.JPG

laid the feather sticks on a wooden base ...

CIMG6216.JPG

and actually managed to get a flame just by using a ferro rod, which soon developed into a good fire

CIMG6221.JPG

But I did my actual 'cooking' on a gas stove

CIMG6224.JPG

which I had brought with me as I had wanted to concentrate on practicing stuff, rather than faffing about heating up soup.

And when I got home, in addition to the 5 hour roast lamb, Higher Management had prepared a fantastic orange sponge pudding!

CIMG6229.JPG

So all in all a good day for me - a new tarp set up for me to play with and develop, and lit a fire using feather sticks and ferro rod for first time in the wood using material I gathered there on the day.

Previously I had thought that the wood I go to was poor in resources for firelighting eg no birch, conifers, clematis or honey suckle but it was amazing how improved knowledge and skills (for which especial thanks to the Paul Kirtley weekend at Rough Close) changed my view of what was available.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Been playing around with tarps again.

First effort was intended to be an improved version of the one I tried out in the wood - see posts above - and used the same two DD tarps:
CIMG6235.JPG

CIMG6236.JPG

CIMG6237.JPG

CIMG6238.JPG

But then I thought that it would be worth trying different set ups for the big 4.5m x 3m tarp on its own - anything I can't fit under it I could protect by putting up the 3 x 3 tarp on its own.

This is what I came up, with poles shortened , and bed being set up for use tonight, as a trial
CIMG6249.JPG

I had a problem with the corner as it was 'flappy'. I tried just tucking it under/wrapping round itself
CIMG6245.JPG

but that didn't seem too clever so I had a go with klingons, attached to folded material, rather than just the edge - not a good idea either
CIMG6246.JPG

unless you want more ventilation that is!

So I tried pulling the two edges tight using klingons on the edges of the tarp - this worked better but it is still work in progress I think
CIMG6247.JPG

CIMG6248.JPG

By the way - I am posting this in case it helps anyone else thinking of trying different set ups with DD 3x3 and 3x4.5 tarps - I have no connection with DD other than as a satisfied customer.

If anyone does have a go then my advice is:

- try out set ups in the garden first - easier to go and get a cup of tea and a biscuit when it isn't going well, and not too fraught if the weather turns against you

- have plenty of guy lines, poles (clothes props from Wilkos or other hardware store) pegs and klingons (or an alternative) so that you can see what you need to have when you camp out for real

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE