Tarp repair?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Alright everyone

I've managed to get a tear in my old dd tarp, it's not the newer lightweight style but a fairly heavy material. I really like this tarp despite it's weight and small size. The tear was caused by a nail, it's about 3 inches down and 3 inches across in the shape of an L...

What would be the best way to repair this? Sew it first by hand and seal it or take the easy option and glue inner tube over the tear? I know it won't be pretty either way but buying a new one isn't an option and I've never had to do this before.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I've always been careful with my tarps but I had a bit of help from my 4 year old son when this happened! Oops

Cheers, Chad

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
A repair should be possible Chad,
if you can find some suitable material (I wouldn't personally go the way of gluing a rubber patch on) a round, square or triangular patch sewn around the tear so that it takes some of the stress of being tensioned. I'd sew the patch over the area, then sew the edges of the tear to the patch itself - then re-assess to see if it would look better with a patch on both sides. I also wouldn't bother sewing the tear closed, as it is likely to create a pucker in the material and lead to problems elsewhere.

ATB, HTH

Ogri the trog

PS, you have reminded me that I have a hole to repair in my parachute ;)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Patch and glue is one way.

Just as good is a peice of gaffer tape either side. Did this to mine 2 years ago as a temp repair, and it still works fine.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Patch and glue is one way.

Just as good is a peice of gaffer tape either side. Did this to mine 2 years ago as a temp repair, and it still works fine.

I tried to do a temporary patch on an old Khyam tent using gaffer tape in France during the summer. I think because I'd treated it with Nikwax it wouldn't get a grip at all and would just slide off. First time I've ever seen gaffer tape not stick to something.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Thanks guys, I think I'll try the thousand mile-an-hour tape first, if no joy then I'll get busy as described by Ogri. The tear is at the edge of the tarp so I'm not going to get wet regardless, but don't like to leave it in it's current state. Cheers!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I tried to do a temporary patch on an old Khyam tent using gaffer tape in France during the summer. I think because I'd treated it with Nikwax it wouldn't get a grip at all and would just slide off. First time I've ever seen gaffer tape not stick to something.

My tarp is currently coated in sap so it should stick a treat Rich!

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh

You never made the mistake of buying B&Q's own brand gaffer tape then... Damn stuff won't stick to anything except itself. It's less sticky than low-tack masking tape. (Well, it seems sticky enough at first, but it just peels off after a few minutes...)

Back to the question in hand, I always have a strip of self-adhesive tent repair fabric in my kit somewhere - handy stuff for all sorts of repairs.

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
I recommend Tear-Aid repair tape.

I put a hole in a tent while pitching in high winds in Durness (pole went through); very sticky stuff. I fixed it with Tear-Aid and then repitched immediately. The patch was still on when I sold it as I never bothered with a more permanent repair. You'll need Type 'A' for your tarp.

Type 'B' is for vinyl which I've used on inflatable boats.

IIRC they do a 20"x3" kit as well as one with smaller pieces.

Cheers

Tom

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i've got some stuff similar to what earlyriser is recommending called McNett Tenacious Tape.
i brought an aussie hootchie off ebay and on close inspection it had a small tear in the fabric.
i used this ultra sticky repair tape and it has worked perfectly. its so good i carry the roll in my bergen in case i rip anything that needs a waterproof repair.

forestwalker

I would go the same way as when attaching points in the middle of a tarp. In my case that would be to glue on a patch using something that will stay flexible, and then sew it down once the glue has dried (or you will mess your sewing machine up). Place one patch on either side for maximal paranoia, and then seal the seams like a glue sniffer in a factory warehouse (i.e. don't use less if you can use more).

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
i've got some stuff similar to what earlyriser is recommending called McNett Tenacious Tape.
i brought an aussie hootchie off ebay and on close inspection it had a small tear in the fabric.
i used this ultra sticky repair tape and it has worked perfectly. its so good i carry the roll in my bergen in case i rip anything that needs a waterproof repair.

I second Tenacious tape, a piece either side will facilitate a permanent repair, that is barely noticeable as the tape is matt transparent, its really good stuff I too carry it in a small repair kit

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
I used McNett on my Alpkit mat recently after the fire in my tent spat and peppered it with holes. Like the others say, it's good stuff, though I don't think it's as sticky as Tear-aid. I bought it though as it's about half the price.

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE