Tarp performance in very heavy rain?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
I am thinking of buying a large tarp (such as the DD tarp) for use on my next visit to Kenya. (I have never used a tarp and hammock).

The problem there is that it rains. Every afternoon and evening there are huge thunderstorms and torrential rain. I mean real heavy downpour for a couple of hours, the likes of which is rare here in the UK. Mostly the rain comes straight down, after 5 minutes of very strong wind before the event.

Now... question.... will a tarp such as the DD handle heavy rain, or will the rain just spray through the material?

Rod

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I am thinking of buying a large tarp (such as the DD tarp) for use on my next visit to Kenya. (I have never used a tarp and hammock).

The problem there is that it rains. Every afternoon and evening there are huge thunderstorms and torrential rain. I mean real heavy downpour for a couple of hours, the likes of which is rare here in the UK. Mostly the rain comes straight down, after 5 minutes of very strong wind before the event.

Now... question.... will a tarp such as the DD handle heavy rain, or will the rain just spray through the material?

Rod

Good question, probably not but if price is not a problem get yourself a 4x4.5 metre Andywinkk tarp. Plenty of room underneath to move around if there is a group of you. Hope this helps.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The DD will certainly handle any amount of rain,I live in Wales and have never had a problem.Just make sure you set it up correctly to ensure that water doesn't pool on it as this will cause it to collapse.A problem I did have with the DD tarp was condensation ,it always without fail was covered in it by morning,I cured this by using a polycotton tarp.I know many people who have never suffered with condensation under a DD tarp so possibly it's just me.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The DD will certainly handle any amount of rain,I live in Wales and have never had a problem.Just make sure you set it up correctly to ensure that water doesn't pool on it as this will cause it to collapse.A problem I did have with the DD tarp was condensation ,it always without fail was covered in it by morning,I cured this by using a polycotton tarp.I know many people who have never suffered with condensation under a DD tarp so possibly it's just me.

I experienced heavy condensation with my DD on my last trip out a few weeks ago. Never had it before, at all, I put it down to the fact that the temps got down to around zero and the ground was absolutely saturated.
Does the polycotton stop that than sapper ? I might have to treat myself to one for canoe trips.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I have used both the older heavy dd tarp and the newer lightweight one at G-Y-M in wales and boy can it rain there. Both handled it fine. Can not say about condensation but had no issues after the rain had stopped.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
DD tarp used at the end of oct/early nov when those heavy rains hit, dry as a bone underneath it no worries, no issues with condensation either and there was two of us under it ;)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
get a tarp that's the right size for you, your main concern for the rain is pitching it well and if it's too big it will be harder to get right (too small and you're going to get wet!) You're better being a bit over sized on your estimation. Think about how much it's going to get moved about, sat on, dragged about etc so you can decide on toughness.

There's a number of tarps that would work for you at a range of prices..tatonka, truenorth, andywinkk, DD etc.

If you get one practice with it so that you can set it up knowing how much it will sag, or if the edging contributes to making a bowl when it's rained on.

Are you going to be carrying it or vehicle?

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Take plenty of guys too and guy it out in as many places as possible this'll help keep it taught and shed well without pooling. If it's like some of the sudden rainstorms in ZA you'll need to make sure your ridgeline is up to snuff too, and make sure it doesn't do anything weird when wet.

Out of true north, the DD and the andywinkk I'd be tempted for the true north big tarp, a wee bit bigger than the 3x3 DD and a little better quality but a lot lighter than the andywinkk. All the tarps are excellent but have different features and so are more or less suited to a specific task.
Some close ups of these guys DD3x3, DD4.5x3, TNBig tarp, Andywinkk

Cheers,

Alan

c'mon tone get the blog section back up... ;-)

Last edited:

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Are you going to be carrying it or vehicle?

I won't be backpacking with it. Think more like a base camp, where I will be staying in one place for between 2 to 4 weeks. But luggage weight is limited because of the flights. 20Kg on the short flight from Nairobi to Kisumu.

I do like the idea of a large tarp. Something that I can live under, and sleep in a hammock. In addition I would probably string up a heavy line or tape so that I could keep ALL personal kit off the ground, or make some stands for kit. (Think snakes and nasties).

My main concerns are
a. the winds before the storms : they can be VERY VERY strong for 5 to 10 minutes, but always from the same direction.

b. The power of the tropical rain: I have only ever seen rain like it once in the UK. I am concerned that the huge raindrops and their power will just spray through the material. That is the major consideration. Heck I have even thought of a tarp under a tarp. :)

Night temperatures (a mile from the equator, and about 4,500ft elevation) is usually 20C to 25C with a very minimum of 17C. So there's no big problem there.

What is the weight and packed up size of the large Andywinkk?

Rod

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Double tarping also has the advantage of actually being somewhat cooling AND warming (in still air conditions) so may be worth concidering even if you are using fully waterproof fabrics!
I know what you mean about the pre-storm winds in the tropics - in Ghana I tried to hold onto a tarp that was about to be blown away....and I was thrown about 10' through the air and onto an upturned canoe!
These storms, at the end of the dry season when the lake was ... turbid ... were our only chance to get a fresh shower and it was like being under a firehose
Ordinary PU proofed nylon or polyester fabric was ok at keeping out the rain though so an average tarp should be OK too!

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I experienced heavy condensation with my DD on my last trip out a few weeks ago. Never had it before, at all, I put it down to the fact that the temps got down to around zero and the ground was absolutely saturated.
Does the polycotton stop that than sapper ? I might have to treat myself to one for canoe trips.
I've set mine up as a flt sheet,a ridge tent ,a ridge with one corner up and as a tepee and never had any condensation.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I've bivvied under mine during a night of torrential downpour - the sort of rain that shows up green on the forecast - and was fine. Keep it away from fire though - I burned a big hole in mine:)

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
I don't think rain penetration through the tarp will be your problem, it will be rain splash from the ground at the open sides of your shelter, and water running across the ground to where you are sitting. That was my experience in some heavy downpours in Scotland while 'bashering'.

Just ensure that you set up on ground where water won't run under your shelter, and keep all your kit and self in the centre of the shelter away from the splash zone.

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Water running on the surface of the ground will indeed be a problem. My planned site is on a slight slope, although between two (not too high) mature trees. That's why I want to get everything off the ground. I'll probably use a net hammock slung beneath the main hammock. Things (including the ground) dry very quickly though.

Fortunately, no lions or large animals where I am going. Just snakes. Black and green mamba are fairly common.... "12 step snakes". In reality probably the most dangerous creatures are mosquitos, but a net and spray stuff will deal with those, and I have managed to deal with them so far in 12 visits there, although I haven't slept out in the open before.

Cheers
Rod

Breeze

Dec 7, 2009
london
Heavy PU poly is slightly better than coated nylons in tropical heavy rains and high winds. There are different types of rain like the monsoon kind which doesn't occur here. Some rains actually hurt your head slightly. With nylons if the pressure of the droplets is strong enough, they might mist as reported by some which will probably be OK in this case as it won't be a sealed tent over night. The pores then snap back like rubber once the immediate pressure is over and misting underneath a little.

Multi tarping might be a good option. A PU poly as the main which will also perform better in high winds not to mention less noisy and a lighter secondary nylon. The nylon can be pitched alongside, slightly overlapping and under, as a shaded porch area and to channel away rain. In heavy rains it can just be snapped underneath the main tarp in case of failure. If using carabiners on one end, you just switch two of them underneath and over to the other side.

Of course if the secondary light nylon tarp is held by carabiners or snap-clips/hooks it can be quickly converted into a side wall to protect against the moving sun, wind, spray, side rain or just needed privacy which is more likely than primary tarp failure. Also the secondary tarp can function as a makeshift shower/loo cubicle. If it is windy, very wet, buggy or needing privacy at night it can become an A framed shelter and with a couple of small pieces of bugnet at each end, it will keep the mossies away too. If the main reason is bugs, it can be pitched tight to the ground and/or slightly buried on the outside if it's a cheap tarp. You can even buy £5 or £10 tarps from DIY superstores for your secondary tarp. Or optionally with a little of the edges folded underneath and loops/grommet holes a few inches from the end. I bought a lightweight tent today but my best buys this week were a large but light retractable pruning saw and £3 waterproof standard blue tarp (9x6) which is not too heavy and some lightweight lines from Homebase as well as 2 lightweight shower curtains in one package for a quick groundsheet/picnic/pack cover etc. from the 99p store which pack to nothing and weigh very little. The DIY stores and Poundland/99p also sell other good stuff like '2' packs of triple LED Stick & Press Lanterns (99p for both) which are great for tents/tarps and are normally £6 quid each! So would be £12 for 2 but in current sales it's BOGOF for £6 in MountainWareHouse stores which is still more than it is at the 99p store which has duct tape and 4-pack paracord, etc.. Poundland's got good stuff too like the multi LED headtorch, the 6-in-1-minitool(whistle, torch, compass, thermo, lens, mirror), etc. MWH BTW is slashing it's sale further by another %20 till Sunday, so I got a £30 quid lightweight pole which was on sale for £17 only for £13.50, some branches have better clothes than others. Also a very nice full tanged carving knife with a great handle for only £2 at Morrisons. I'll be going to Wickes and B&Q next week. Back to topic, so the secondary tarp doesn't have to be an expensive one. Anyway the A framed tarp can just be hung from an existing line or an extension or even a line high at one end and pegged to the ground at other with only one entry which might simplify things even more. Also if it's cheap as groundsheet, or a large beak, gear cover, ... possibilities are endless.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE