Tarp advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
Looking to order a tarp to use for both me and the girlfriend. I've heard many good things about the DD 3x3 but is it big enough for two ground dwelling adults?

Also, how much cordage am I going to need to cover various configurations?

Cheers!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Plenty of room for 2 people.

Cordage wise mine has about 6mtr of 4mm cord for the ridge line and 3 metres of 2mm cord for the guy lines

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Brilliant, thanks. I'll order the DD and then get some cord ordered seperately. anybody know how the DD copes with fires underneath?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Brilliant, thanks. I'll order the DD and then get some cord ordered seperately. anybody know how the DD copes with fires underneath?

All depends on how close you have it to the fire, how hot it is etc.

End of the day it's a thin nylon material susceptible to sparks burning holes so sensible caution needs to be exercised

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
It will probably spend more time hung high off my camper van roofrack as an awning than it will in the woods so should be fine. I do plan on getting back out into the woods though so I'll excersize caution!

Any cord reccomendations or does it not make much difference?

BEARDMASTER

Dec 4, 2017
Estonia
www.nahakamber.ee
I have used the DD 3x3 tarp for 3-4 years now and it has been my only shelter ever since.

Depends on what configuration you will use it, but I have had 4 people under it with no problems.
I have had small cooking fires underneath it most of the times it's been used. By now the tarp smells like a campfire all year round. No problems with sparks so far.
The attachment loops have been holding up very well without any problems. The nylon, however, did rip when it was used on top of the wooden frame. The sharp corners ripped it right open. Nothing too bad, I ordered a repair kit from DD and that has worked like a charm.

Best nylon tarp I have ever used. The next nylon tarp I will buy will be the exact same one.
The brown color also goes well with the spruce trees. I have had hikers go by at 7 meters without noticing me.

As long as you understand the limitations of nylon and take care of it, it will take care of you.

Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Thanks for the lengthy reply! Sounds a good tarp, I've read nothing but praise about DD tarps so should do me fine! Went for brown too, fancied something different than olive green...

I'm keen to try some of the tent style ways of hanging it, never tried it.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I tend to go a bit bigger than the 3x3, usually because there's a couple of us and we want space to move about and do things. If you're carrying it in then the DD 3x3 is likely all you need, if you're driving it in i'd order something a bit bigger. My favourite tarp is my 4.5x4.5 bilmo with extra loops on the faces, it's heavy but so nice to be under...

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I have the 4m by 4m DD and the extra room is very very usefull. It is only 7sq metres extra but it feels like so much more. Finding trees that allow the extra length is harder but not too bad, you mention a camper van so it may well not be an issue. Think about going 4x4!!!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
I'll see how I get on and if I fancy something bigger for the van I can always buy another :D ultimately I like the idea of a big Bilmo one, does he still make themselves?

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Just taken delivery in the DD today, seems well made I just need to order some cord for the ridge and then test it out.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Aliexpress do cheap paracord. I bought 200 feet for my hammock set-up, but more won't hurt. I have a 12.5 foot cord bundled onto all the main tie outs to give options or for windy conditions and about 40 foot as ridge line so I can get round the thicker trees. Those Nite Ize Figure 9 cord locks are great for ridge lines, so easy to tension.

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Nite_Ize...giUK_5qWpNxec5eIZl5_xQ7D686_9G1RoCL5IQAvD_BwE

I see they do a new one called Cam Jam, but I've not tried them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE