Tantallon Castle, Seacliff Beach and the Bass Rock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
A windy day forecast with ice and snow stripped back from the hills so a wee wander down to Sea Cliff Beach. I was experimenting with my camera and used binocs to spot sea birds, 6 different breeds. No dolphin or porpoise sightings. A trawler was busy off the east side of the Bass rock.

The beach is controlled by a £2 charge.

As you drive down to the beach this is the view of the Bass Rock and Tantallon castle. It's not snow on the rock but birds !

6782811468_af6c7d8b4f.jpg

This is the view from the carpark, a nice sandy and clean beach.

6782811480_260f697dba.jpg

The smallest Harbour in Scotland is in the rocks on the left hand side, 2m wide entrance for the Lobster boat.

6782811494_3a73f13fac.jpg

Full size images here http://www.flickr.com/photos/80049703@N00/sets/72157629452485657/show/

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Nice pics, i like the North Berwick area, ive taken the kids quite a few times, here is my view of Bass rock,

petticoout037-1.jpg
believe it or not the microscopic dot below the windows paint black arrow is Bass rock, im Approx 30 miles south of there.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive seen quite a few Sea kayaker's put in at Coldingham bay and head towards pease bay or vice versa, heading past St Abbs head, there's a good mid way spot to put in at called Lumsdaine shore. There's some cracking remote camping beaches along the way(ive tried a few of them)

Last edited:

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
Nice photos, shame you didn't get one of the harbour it's quite something. If you're back in that area sometime try walking along the beach from Seacliff to Tantallon. There's a path up the cliff that brings you out near the castle.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Lumsdaine has a old man made harbour (from victorian times) and the beach at the back is above spring high tide, ive camped there with some of the guys off here,and had a brew and a chat with a few sea kayakers as theyve pulled in there, i hear there's some good spots near St Abbs head in amongst the cliffs etc, to explore via a sea Kayak.Done a fair bit of Snorkelling just round from the Head.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Nice photos, shame you didn't get one of the harbour it's quite something. If you're back in that area sometime try walking along the beach from Seacliff to Tantallon. There's a path up the cliff that brings you out near the castle.

I did take photos of the harbour. The tide was coming in and a bit of swell so never went out to Tantallon.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Is that Bass rock just of the coast at Dunbar, If so I used to spend many a night at the small caravan park down the road. It was called Pease Bay near Cockburn's Path. Lovely place, the beaches where some of the best on the East Coast.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE