Tankard making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Had some chaps round this weekend for a private tankard making course, thought you might like to see what they made this weekend. Had a really great time with them.
tankards.jpg

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I think Eric may have done one in the past, but the current issue of the magazine has the article i have written complete with how to photos.

Thanks, this just reminded me to subscribe again :)

Have you ever thought of using Brewers Pitch to line the tankards?

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Fierce, wish there was someone running a course like that up this way. Fierce....very envious. A credit to your tuition :cool:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Well made Bardster mate, Thanks for showing and also letting me have a drink from one at the Bentley Woodfair.

leon-1

Thanks, this just reminded me to subscribe again :)

Have you ever thought of using Brewers Pitch to line the tankards?

I have used brewers pitch before now, it's black, it's messy so if you want a tankard any other colour than black your all out of luck and it's a bit of a nightmare to flow evenly.

I should mention it's also a damned good laugh making one and the taste of anything you have coming out of there is different to any other drinking vessel, water and cider come out tasting fresher than from pretty much any other drinking vessel I have tried.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I have used brewers pitch before now, it's black, it's messy so if you want a tankard any other colour than black your all out of luck and it's a bit of a nightmare to flow evenly.

I should mention it's also a damned good laugh making one and the taste of anything you have coming out of there is different to any other drinking vessel, water and cider come out tasting fresher than from pretty much any other drinking vessel I have tried.

I've drunk from these things, twenty years ago or so, belonging to friends, who called them "blackjacks" and had a thick waxy coating inside that I suppose was brewer's pitch. I was surprised that the coating didn't taint the drink, I expected at least some slight hint of leather, but as you remarked it comes out tasting really fresh.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent

Yeah, what leon said, i hate brewers pitch and wont work with it. much prefer beeswax...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE