1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking of bargains

Discussion in 'Kit Chatter' started by petrochemicals, Jun 26, 2019.

1. petrochemicals

petrochemicals Full Member

Kepis likes this.
  2. Kepis

Kepis Bushcrafter through and through

Good catch, just ordered a set as well, looks like they are coming from Glasgow though, even so the postage will be more than they are selling for.

3. bopdude

bopdude Full Member

Took a chance, if they're genuine it's the bargain of the year :)

4. Broch

Broch Full Member

Will you people stop finding tempting deals! :)

Get thee behind me Satan

petrochemicals likes this.
  5. petrochemicals

Yep glasgow, not china . I was a bit tired and inebriated when I ordered and posted this thread. You can probably tell that it's not got the price on it (3.59) and it's in "edge tools" rather than "brights and gizmos"

6. Keith_Beef

Keith_Beef Native

These look enormously like torches that used to keep turning up in adverts every time I opened up certain websites.

"This is the MILITARY GRADE flashlight that EVERYBODY is talking about!!!"

"Check out the flashlight that BLINDS GRIZZLIES!!!"

plastic-ninja, Deekin and Janne like this.
  7. Duggie Bravo

Duggie Bravo Nomad

Think I bought my son these 3 years ago for his bike, don’t think I was particularly impressed with them and I don’t believe he rode his bike in the dark.
    No idea where they are now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

Same ones. “Get these before they’re banned” etc. Still, a pair and a rear light for less than a fiver is probably worth a punt. It’s the AAA battery option that’s a bit strange on an 18650 torch.

Anyone going the 18650 route, get some sensible batteries, like from Fogstar, it’s impossible to know what kind of driver board and power regulation these have.

9. petrochemicals

Y
    You can get an adapter that 3aa goes into that is the same size as an 18650 the only thing is on these high power torches is the drain is over 10 watts, ten watts is a bit much for one 18650 let alone aaas. I got one of the high powers with a 2 18650 back to limit the strain on the batteries, even then it doesn't last that long, I don't think it's got a driver board on it because the brightness dims with the battery drain. Come to mention it it has got through a number of 18650s. Very good though.

10. Jared

Jared Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

#10 Jared, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  11. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

That was my concern with the AAAs, they just won’t be able to offer much in terms of performance against an 18650, they’d only last a few minutes. So, a bit of a Catch 22 in that you’d have to buy at least two high capacity 18650s, presumably with a high amp draw, which would cost about £7 each, plus a charger. I’m really not a fan of unregulated high drain devices, they can be dangerous. I read only a couple of days ago how a lad lost his teeth to an unregulated single 18650 vape mod going pop in his face. Most people who don’t know Li-ion batteries would let one run right out before recharging, when really they shouldn’t be allowed to get below 2.8V. Anything direct drive should be run on cells with a protection circuit to shut the power off early, which is a mighty pain in the proverbial when you’re in the dark and your torch shuts down.

Still, back on topic of bargains, this one is an absolute giveaway price, I’m not sure how it’s possible. Just be sensible with those big batteries everyone. :)

12. petrochemicals

The bike lights are 400 lumen lights, so that puts them in the 4 watt range. 3aaa will be at about at there limit or beyond I should think. Some high capacity nimh rechargables should work to ease it out. Jit will be drawing 1 amp from an 18650 so thats fairly reasonable for discharge and capacity on any old one.

If people (more specifically men ) knew about litium batteries its very unlikely they would carry mobile phones in trouser pockets !

I would reccomend getting an intelligent charger anyway, knows what battery your using when to stop accurately.

The carrier that i had in the past just had a big spring on it.

#12 petrochemicals, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  13. Deekin

Deekin Full Member

Yes, recommended in the Times magazine and the one I bought for my wife for using after she had come off the bus, got that hot it nearly set her handbag on fire. Hope these are OK.

14. Corso

Corso Full Member

why is this thread in edged tools sub forum?

15. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

OP was drunk. :D

16. Janne

Janne M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)

Edgy tech.
    At least for us that remember the leg sapping bicycle dynamos...
    :)

17. petrochemicals

If i was drunk it would have ended up in survival skills sub zero, or on Real outdoors forum somwhere, one subforum beneath only constitutes tipsy ! Move it if you can:yuck:

Nice65 likes this.
  18. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

:D Fair comment.

My personal experiences of trying to move threads on BB, often coupled with pics, links, and superb information have lead to the whole lot lost in the electronic ether, frantically trying to reinstall links, or desperate pleas to Admin for help. There was one mod who will remain unnamed who was cruelly goaded into trying to create an Article from a brilliant tutorial. I’ll remain on his side that the request was completely out of order and being told “Go on, it’s easy” wasn’t a challenge he should have accepted. :D

Best bet is tip the mods the wink with the Report button, they can’t read everything.

#18 Nice65, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    petrochemicals likes this.
  19. Billy-o

Billy-o Settler

Bike lights are getting way too bright nowadays. Driving, I often catch an eyeful of lumens. Walking, especially in the rain in town, with all those reflections, I have been frequently dazzled to the point of getting froze to the spot by a bike light. It wasn't til I saw my own bike light ... just an old AA Fenix at the front ... that I realized I was as guilty as anyone else.

20. petrochemicals

Well how do you go about dipersing them? In my opinion it's leds to blame, one very small intense light source, cars, buses bikes with led lights all blind. The best bulbs are the flouresant ones, nice large emmitting area you could stand to look at.