Take to the Trees! A Pictorial Guide to Hammocking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A few people have expressed an interest in the Magikelly / Wanderingstar hammock system – so here it is from start to finish.

I will put this up in a different way to the way I do normally. Usually I would pitch the tarp first – then if it rains, everything else can be done under cover. However on a sunny day like today, its often nice to pitch hammock first (and then have a kip in the sun for an hour).

To begin with, here is the full system in its stuff sacks.

1340882625_8335c5764f_o.jpg

The long thin stuff sack contains the hammocks, climbing tape for suspending the hammock, a 3m x 3m tarpaulin and a mosquito net. The other two bags contain an under blanket which suspends beneath the hammock and a quilt for use inside the hammock.

Unpacking the long stuff sack reveals the following elements

1340887099_4097307431_o.jpg

On the left is the “group buy” hammock – sil nylon and packs into its own pocket that later forms a handy bag attached to the hammock side wall for things that might be wanted in the night. It packs to half the size of a bag of sugar.

In the centre is a “group buy” mozz net in its own bag. More on this later.

On the right is a Tatonka 3m by 3m sized sil nylon tarp. Rolled tight this occupies about the size of a 2lb bag of sugar. Again more later.

To begin with, lets sling the hammock. Opening the hammock stuff sack reveals the following items

1341781714_2a6378d3b2_o.jpg

What you can see here is a nylon hammock and two 5m lengths on climbing tape. The climbing tape has several advantages over rope in attaching a hammock to a tree. Its flat so it “grips” better, it doesn’t stretch as many ropes do and is far less prone to damage the bark of the tree.

The cords on each end of the hammock are gathered in a metal hook when the hammock is supplied. I have removed these and replaced with (proper climbing strength) screw gate karabiners. I find these more secure and very easy to unclip if I want to add the mozzy net after slinging the hammock for example.

1341784286_0365a02c91_o.jpg

Now we need to find some suitable trees. We want two trees about 20 feet or more apart. Check both trees are sound, have no diseased limbs, heavy overhangs etc. I prefer to have the hammock out from under any branches – partly to avoid any possibility of anything falling, but also to stop the persistent “drip” after rain from the leaves. Avoid beech trees if possible – they have a tendency to shed large branches – especially if there is rain after a dry spell.

A nice healthy apple and cherry will do

1340899089_2ede54463a_o.jpg

So we position the hammock on the floor and then tie up one end. I like to use an evenk hitch (aka falconers knot) for the first end – a quick release knot that lets me slide the climbing tape up the tree.

1341792532_9485224bff_o.jpg

I use a tautline hitch at the other end since it lets me take slack out of the tapes.

1340908589_021746481c_o.jpg

I don’t like my hammock bar tight as some pitch them – just taught enough to keep me off the ground. The hammock will drop considerably with weight on it!

Its worth noting that everyone has their own way of tying a hammock – feel free to invent your own ;)

1340913739_e5d399e731_o.jpg

Now, sleeping in a hammock is different to sleeping on the ground. The greatest source of heat loss is cold air under your back. A sleeping bag wont really help with this as it will become compressed between your back and the hammock and not trap any air. One solution is to use a partially inflated Thermarest type mat inside the hammock that will wrap around you to some extent when you lie on it. Other people use reindeer skins inside the hammock that are great insulators. Better still though is an underblanket. An underblanket is slung underneath the hammock – it insulates from outside and so is not compressed between back and hammock.

This is how the underblanket looks

1341808406_6e2e7d3893_o.jpg

There are two sets of shock cords running through the underblanket that allow both ends to be attached around the hammock like this

1341814148_c640ea4431_o.jpg

There is a sprung toggle halfway down the side of the blanket that allows the blanket to be raised and lowered to regulate heat when lying inside. Put some slack into this, sling the underblanket tight, then adjust from inside.

1341816862_6e3a650607_o.jpg

Best climb inside for a kip then J. You can see how the hammock enfolds me and the shaow line from the “cocoon” formed by the underblanket.

1341060967_be21174d84_o.jpg

So my back is warm – now my front.

A sleeping bag has two major disadvantages in a hammock. Firstly you are carrying more than you need to (in that the part underneath you does not insulate being compressed). Secondly they are a right pain to get into and out of inside a hammock.

Enter the quilt! Of course you can use an unzipped sleeping bag, wool blanket or even a bed quilt – but this is the best solution I have seen!

1341953398_131247cf51_o.jpg

As you can see – this is a top quilt made from compressible “sleeping bag like” material. There is a bucket to tuck your feet into and two side panels to tuck under your back to stop the quilt coming adrift in the night.

1341956504_46438a46fe_o.jpg

Simplicity itself to get into and out of and much smaller than a sleeping bag! I’m half pulling myself out here so that you can see the arrangement. When you lie down its like being in a big warm cocoon (but from outside you can’t see much).

That’s the basic warmth taken care of – now lets get dry!

A tarp is suspended above the hammock. I use a 3m by 3m square tarp. Some use longer or shorter types. They can be pitched as a diamond to increase “front to back” length or as a square to increase working / sitting area underneath. I vary mine by the weather and the pitch site.

1341071635_3e37e8e5fe_o.jpg

Paracord is quite sufficient to make a ridgeline for your tarp – it won’t be bearing any weight after all. A useful trick is to attach another piece of paracord at each end of the tarp and tie to the ridgeline in a prussic knot. This allows the tarp to be stretched tight along the ridgeline and to be re-positioned along the ridge. Leaving a trailing end on the knot acts as a “drip line” meaning water won’t run along the ridgeline inside the tarp.

1341962626_8e2adae40a_o.jpg

A guy line is attached to each corner of the tarp. I sue orange ones in company – they save many a trip and stumble. If on my own or wanting to “blend in” I use green ones.

1341979310_2fb6c1976d_o.jpg

As you can see, this tarp leaves lots of room underneath to sit, cook etc. and is more than big enough to protect from even sideways rain.

1342022712_8ddf25850e_o.jpg

Okay, the last thing we need to be aware of is midges, gnats, mosquitoes and all manner of nasty biting flying things. Enter the net!

1342031818_ff490ef4b9_o.jpg

The mos net has three loops above it to suspend it from the ridge line of the tarp. I added “mini” karabiners to mine so I can snap it on and off without un-pitching the tarp. The hammock ties fit through a hole in each end of the net. The net has ties to seal the hole against flying things.

1342037896_9bd2be7406_o.jpg

When fully pitched your entire hammock is fully enclosed. You can get into and out of the hammock through the hole in the bottom of the net.

1342043860_0218deccc3_o.jpg

That’s the full system rigged – one nice, discrete camp that doesn’t mind if its on a hill, or if the ground is marshy.

1341163177_cb6f8d8add_o.jpg

There are a few other little “comforts” that can be added – two sticks sharpened and banged in the ground beside the hammock make a great place to put your boots. A head torch or small lantern can be clipped to the ridge line to give a reading light. A tripod can be erected under the tarp to keep your pack out of the dirt. A leather arm chair can…no, perhaps not :eek:

The nice thing with the hammock system though is flexibility.

Midday nap on a nice day?

Just sling your hammock (you can use it as a chair too).

Warm summer night?

Just hammock and the quilt will do.

Near water (or in Scotland)?

Add the mozzie net.

Cold?

Add an underblanket.

Wet?

Put the tarp up.

Stopped for a brew in the rain?

Just sling the tarp to keep the rain off.

I’m sure you get the idea.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just to note - I did this thread to show me trying out the prototype quilt.

My unbiased advice is, if you have a hammock, get an underblanket and order the quilt quick while you can!

They transform something that is useful but can be awkward (with slinding mats and wriggling into and out of sleeping bags) into a really adaptable, comfortable, warm and convenient system.

"Red Recommends"

Red

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Thats a pretty comprehensive post, Red, and is certain to go down very well with the "hammockeers".

Personally, I am not a big fan of "micks" but what with all that nylon, bunting, tarps and rigging on display, I,m pretty sure that it would be possible to get about 8 or 9 knots out of those two trees......with the wind about 4 points on either quarter:)

Ceeg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Avast behind (as BB said when I got in).

I'm one of those "foot in each camp" types Ceeg - I like bivvying, tents and hammocks. I do go to one spot on the Welsh borders which is so hilly and damp that a hammock is vastly preferrable. On dartmoor in the open spaces though - bivvy every time.

I really do think that the complete system though, with underblanket and quilt, makes it very much more convenient and easier to hop in and out of than a tent. Equally, theres something about being "open" under a tarp that is much closer to nature than being enclosed in a tent.

As in all things - to each, his own!

Red

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Wow you go for trees 20' apart :eek:

I couldn't get on with that much gap but like you say everyone has their own way.

Thanks for taking the time to post this information, I can't wait to get the underblanket (and possibly quilt). Don't suppose you know the approximate pack size of the u/blanket/ quilt?

I also like the hammock hook mod. Nice touch :rolleyes:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm,

They pack to about the same size. Lets say each is smaller than a medium sleeping bag (say about Nanok 0 size). When you think they replace bag and kip mat its a great space saving when you consider the hammock is much smaller than a tent.

I can measure them if you like?

Red

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Red
With regard to the climbing tape, does it come with loops already in or do you tie a loop in as necessary. Reason I ask is I have just bought two 120 climbing slings which I was about to open to give lengths of 250cm for hanging my hammock.
Alan

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Humback,

I just bought flat 5m lengths and tied a bowline in one end. Never let me down yet!

Red

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Thanks, thought so.
This forum is costing me a fortune (just put in for a quilt to go with the underblanket).
If you fancy doing a further photo tutorial how about how to hank guy lines?
Cheers Alan

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I'd add a 3rd advantage of quilt over sleeping bag in a hammock.

A sleeping bag tends to be stretched over you, meaning that the maximum loft above you is the thickness of the bag, the quilt lies over you and bunches up meaning the minimium over you is the thickness of the quilt. If you check you picture you'll see that in lots of places you've probably got several inches of, off axis, loft over you because of the folding effect.

The mini binas on the mossie net is a nice idea, I've been toying with the idea off tieing the loops to the ridge with a few inches of elastic, the idea is to help account for the differences with weight in or out of the hammock, being as the mossie gets fixed to the hammock straps Might combine those 2 ideas as now a few of loops tied in some elastic combines with mini binas will give quick adjustability and a little give.

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
Thanks for posting this Red, was a little unsure of the best way to pitch.
hoping to get a tarp soon.

although what the advantages/disadvantages of a underblanket and quilt, rather than just a sleeping bag (with tarp, hammock and mozz net)

thanks.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
It is a good system Red - I use a MagiKelly Hammock and the group buy mozzie net - and swear by both of them. Not sure about the underblanket and quilt though - It all seems a bit like re-inventing the wheel to me (yet another thing to splash out on and then try and fit in your pack). However, I appreciate how much mucking around it can be to get into a sleeping bag when using a hammock. My solution (based on the advice of others) was to get a full-length central zip with a goretex flap sewn into my bivy bag. My sleeping bag also has a central zip so I can just close both up around me like a banana skin. Maybe I should borrow a mates underblanket and see how I get on before I pass judgement - what temperature is the underblanket and quilt combined rated to?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
To me the big advantage of the underblanket is the insulation. Its not squashed flat like a sleeping bag is when you lie on it in the hammock. This squashing destroys all its insulation. An insulated mat inside the hammock or even in a sewn pocket doesn't insulate your sides properly. The underblanket, being underneath the hammock, is unaffected by how you lie or what you touch. When you are insulated 2/3 of the way round, the quilt just stops heat leaking out above. I also prefer the freedom of movement offered by the quilt over a zipped up sleeping bag.

As for size - compared to a sleeping bag and a mat, I think its a smaller and lighter arrangement. I'd suggest with it all gathered in that well below freezing would still be very comfortable

Red

pollitt

Jan 1, 2007
Dover, Kent, UK
Great little write up red and almost exactly the way i set mine up. Only difference is i've not got my underblanket yet (something this next and final group buy will hopefull sort out!)

For mini karabiners i use Alpkit clippers (althought currently out of stock) I do also use them on the tarp prussik but i notice you dont? how do you make it work without a karabiner to attache the prussik to? (probably obvious but im not a climber/rope man so i dont know)

Stuart

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
politt,

A prussik knot only slides in one direction as you know. I run the ridge line under the tarp and ties off to the he trees. I tie an extra bit of paracord (the desert cam coloured bit in the picture) to each end of the tarp using a bowline. The loose end is tied to the ridgeline using a prussik knot. Pull both apart and it taughtens the tarp. Pull one in and the other one out and it moves the tarp along the ridgeline. Thats about as well as I can explain it...does it make sense?

Red

pollitt

Jan 1, 2007
Dover, Kent, UK
I understand all that part red but i was refering to how to you tie off / attach the loose bit of line from the prussik to close it off and thus lock of the prussik? i usually have it with small bowline and both ends of the prussik line attach to the mini krab that is also attached to the tarp. the line then goes from the krab, wraps around the ridge line making the prussik and joins back to the krab. However it appears you attach one end to the tarp but what do you do with the other end to finish off the prussik?

Stuart

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks, thought so.
This forum is costing me a fortune (just put in for a quilt to go with the underblanket).
If you fancy doing a further photo tutorial how about how to hank guy lines?
Cheers Alan
Alan,

I find many years of messing about in boats as a boy helps. Make a neat coil and tie it an overhand knot - easy!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE