Swedish or Norwegian Winter Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Hi

Can anyone point me in the direction of Swedish or Norwegian Winter army boots?

I'd like to see some pictures and if anyone knows of any stores that sell them online I'd be interested.

Also I'm interested in seeing Norwegian army Goretex overboots.

Anyone got any links?

Cheers

Barry

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi

I'd like to see some pictures and if anyone knows of any stores that sell them online I'd be interested.

The Swedish M90 boot does not have a good reputation. Everything I've heard of it is that it is cheaply made and more of a work boot than a hiking boot.

Some Swedish units (i.e. rangers) get the Jörn boot, but (a) they are hard to get (the small company that makes them has no web presence, you basically have to call them and order), (b) have a long waiting list (since a small company makes them by hand for both the Swedish and Norwegian army they can be fully booked for a year), and (c) quite pricy. But I've seen then Jörn boots, and when I have SEK 5000 to spend on a winter boot that is what I'll get (the winter version with a thick felt liner).

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
The norwegian army boot M77 made by Alfa skofabrikk AS.

M77.jpg

The boot is all leather, no liner. Lightweight and dries fast. It also get wet fast. It is used summer and winter. Not a well made walking boot after modern standard and hated by many. I used these boots every day for 15 years and think they are OK. They are sold at several stores on the web. The pic above is from Miltrad who also sells them. IMO they have becommed a little too expencive. Try googling Alfa M77.

The norwegian army has no special winter boot, but use an "overboot" along with the M77. These are however not Goretex, but cotton and plastic (of some sort).
This combination of M77 and overboots (fotposer) works well.
fotposer.jpg

The pic above is also from Miltrad, but these boots are sold from several web shops (Forsvarsbrukt, Armybutikken and so on). Probably sold from british surplus shops as well.
The price on these varies a lot. From about 15 pounds (norwegian army surplus stores) to almost 100 pounds (most web shops).
I have 3 pairs of them, but don`t use them very much.
With felt insoles and a felt inner boot they are very good when ice fishing.

Tor

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Hi

Also I'm interested in seeing Norwegian army Goretex overboots.

Anyone got any links?

Cheers

Barry

The Cumbrian bought a pair of used swedish winter boots. You could pm him about them.

I have had no problems with either the winter or summer boot. They are not cheaply made, they used to be manufactured in Sweden, now they are made in finland. However, the summer boot is more of a work boot, than a hiking boot as mentioned. The winter boot is a winter boot, warm, and quite nice.

Not all rangers get jörn or meindl boots. Most in fact use the very supple M90 boots. This is a good evidence that you don't need very much support of the instep.

Both the swedish army boots look like clown boots though.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Guys. Thanks for the replies - most useful.

I was let down by my british army boots on the recent BCUK Norway trip and I wanted to see what the Forces up there use.

I think that for my next trip it will be either Sorel Caribou's or Steger Arctic Mukluks depending on where we go and what we'll be doing.

Regards

Barry

forestwalker

I think that for my next trip it will be either Sorel Caribou's or Steger Arctic Mukluks depending on where we go and what we'll be doing.

I have heard good things about Empire Canvas Works mukluk as well (I'm going to to get a pair myself). Do note that you really need to have a special ski binding for either the Steger or the ECW boot.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Many of the army guys use the issued Nokian Naali wellies and they have been used for many years. There are alos the M90 wellies that are issued to all soldiers and my peronal favourite for the winter. If you are in the woods or out on lakes during the winter it will be wet. You might sweat more in wellies but it will not suck up all the wetness from the outside and all you have to worry about is changing socks and dry them up during the night and that is way easier then trying to dry up a wet frozen boot. My M90 wellies i have issued but also bought them for £10 - £30 wich makes them cheap and adding an extra wool felt insole and use thick socks they kept me warm so far.

Nokian Naali (army wellies are green)
http://www.nokianfootwear.fi/eng/outdoor/naali.php

Issue swedish army M90 wellies, made by Canadian Acton or Finnish Nokian
7f1158471fc4db09f7a6030af7908682.jpg

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Not swede or norgie i know but i hav a pair of these

ECWBoots2.jpg

ECWBoots1.jpg

picked them up dirt cheap and unissued for an upcoming trip to finland and maybe norway later, they are USAF Extreme Cold Weather boots.

they are quite expensive online though, i paid around £20 incluiding P+P, they retail online for upto $150 dollars. They arent waterproof though, they are just for very cold weather

forestwalker

The wellies are actually a good pick, in particular for a UK based person who might have a lot of "cold but possibly wet" outings for every real cold trip. I've used Nokian Kaira for years, they are good stuff.

The disadvantage with a wellie is that you will build up a layer of ice on the inside (sweat condensing, lining gets damp during the day, at night it freezes), which will then be cold. Fine for shorter trips, of if you have a heated tent to dry them out in, but not my preference for long, cold trips. The waterproofness is of course very nice if it is around freezing (a few days ago we had -36 C, today we have -2 C), or travel on lakes with overflow.

TaviaRS

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I know it's an old post (ie don't shoot me for its resurection!) but McAleer sell them the Nokian Naali boots. I have the Kaira ones which are similar (they have the removable felt liner) and they're half the price of the Naali ones. Their website is http://www.jmcaleer.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=1&pg=1 if you're interested. Not used them so have no idea what they are like to deal with, but I do rate the wellies.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Many of the army guys use the issued Nokian Naali wellies and they have been used for many years. There are alos the M90 wellies that are issued to all soldiers and my peronal favourite for the winter. If you are in the woods or out on lakes during the winter it will be wet. You might sweat more in wellies but it will not suck up all the wetness from the outside and all you have to worry about is changing socks and dry them up during the night and that is way easier then trying to dry up a wet frozen boot. My M90 wellies i have issued but also bought them for £10 - £30 wich makes them cheap and adding an extra wool felt insole and use thick socks they kept me warm so far.

Nokian Naali (army wellies are green)
http://www.nokianfootwear.fi/eng/outdoor/naali.php

Issue swedish army M90 wellies, made by Canadian Acton or Finnish Nokian
7f1158471fc4db09f7a6030af7908682.jpg

i have a pair of these wellies which are quite goood but i need a new pair of liners which i,ve lost anybody know where to get ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE