Swedish Army Mess Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
My kit arrived today from Surplus and Adventure so I had to christen it with a tin of tomato soup on my back yard (saddo) - very impressed. It looks versatile in that it could be used with an open fire as well as its burner unit and the capacity of main container and lid are both good. Two points. One concerning previous comments about postage - they charged £5.95 whereas actual cost was £4.96 so the 99p must contribute to their admin costs (I'm not bothered).

Secondly the burner unit contained within the kit was wrapped up in a slightly yellowed sheet of a Swedish newspaper dated 1963 ! and the kit had never been used. Looks like their Army Surplus remains in store for a very long time!

Oct 12, 2004
New Ash Green Kent
There a great piece of kit, as they can boil a litre of water quicker than the swiss ranger volcano stove, (found this out by having a swiss army v's sweedish army race with a mate, not by being sad and using a stop-watch) only problem i find is that the different sections dont lock together, and it's like Krypton Factor when you pick it up and the centre falls out.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
homer said:
There a great piece of kit, as they can boil a litre of water quicker than the swiss ranger volcano stove, (found this out by having a swiss army v's sweedish army race with a mate, not by being sad and using a stop-watch) only problem i find is that the different sections dont lock together, and it's like Krypton Factor when you pick it up and the centre falls out.

I know that its not exactly 'bushcraft flavoured' food but I've noticed that army ration pack/wayfarer meal pouches fit almost perfectly into my Swedish army cooker :wink:
A typical 'lazy mans' evening meal for me will consist of just under a litre of water in the large billy with a main course and dessert pouch heating up. When the water comes to the boil I pour some out into my mug for coffee and then drop a block of noodles into the remaining water to soften. By the time the noodles have cooked through, the main meal in the pouch will be warmed through too. As a certain well-known bushcrafter would say, 'delicious'
:eek:):

Cheers,
simon

leon-1

simonsays said:
I know that its not exactly 'bushcraft flavoured' food but I've noticed that army ration pack/wayfarer meal pouches fit almost perfectly into my Swedish army cooker :wink:
A typical 'lazy mans' evening meal for me will consist of just under a litre of water in the large billy with a main course and dessert pouch heating up. When the water comes to the boil I pour some out into my mug for coffee and then drop a block of noodles into the remaining water to soften. By the time the noodles have cooked through, the main meal in the pouch will be warmed through too. As a certain well-known bushcrafter would say, 'delicious'

Cheers,
simon

Simon, you'll probably find that a lot of people carry some form of rations with them especially when they are learning wild foods (they are good as a supplement for what you can forage for and vice versa), they are also great when you haven't managed to get much from foraging.

Carrying rations in the Billy is also very practical so there is no problem with that. You will also notice that even said Bushcrafter was carrying rations on the last couple of programs :wink:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Serious note though, even the main wholesaler for the Swedish government is running low/out of mess kits and I honestly believe the sourse will dry up soon.

If this happens The cost of these excellent kits will sky rocket so those who are interested (or shrewd) should take the chance now and order one - surplus and adventure seem to have them in stock still so check them out there!

(And before anybody complains this is not a ad for Bearclaw as I am totally sold out. This is just me (Gary) trying to help out the members of this site where I can)

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
leon-1 said:
Simon, you'll probably find that a lot of people carry some form of rations with them especially when they are learning wild foods (they are good as a supplement for what you can forage for and vice versa), they are also great when you haven't managed to get much from foraging.

Carrying rations in the Billy is also very practical so there is no problem with that. You will also notice that even said Bushcrafter was carrying rations on the last couple of programs :wink:

Yup, I did notice that he seemed to be carrying an *awful* lot of food with him
:naughty:
Still, one of the reasons I became interested in bushcraft was the ability to 'live from the land' a little. Like some of the more experienced folk here I'm hoping to be able to get by on a little rice and whatever else I can find. I'm hoping to book myself on a basic bushcraft course with this in mind sometime soon. I suspect that without careful instruction I'm liable to starve or poison myself :yikes:

cheers,
simon

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Gary said:
Serious note though, even the main wholesaler for the Swedish government is running low/out of mess kits and I honestly believe the sourse will dry up soon.

If this happens The cost of these excellent kits will sky rocket so those who are interested (or shrewd) should take the chance now and order one - surplus and adventure seem to have them in stock still so check them out there!

(And before anybody complains this is not a ad for Bearclaw as I am totally sold out. This is just me (Gary) trying to help out the members of this site where I can)

I have one in regular use and one (Cough) spare. (It was too cheap not to buy two....)

Cheers,
simon

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Please form an orderly queue...ladies first...

Besides, I need these thermals...I have a cold you know...sniff sniff.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Hey, try the good old fashioned telephone Tomtom, just ordered all my gear!!! Thermals for £3.00 each...I thank you.

Oh, and a very nice mess kit will be sent out to yours truly today.

Spoke to a nice man called Chris.

GO SHOP TOMTOM I SAY, GO SHOP!!

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
He he cheers matey.

It's a site I could get addicted to quite quickly.

Note to self...must get out more...

Just thought I'd add this odd in praise of surplusadventure. Apparently their computer chewed up my order, but the man I spoke to remembered the delivery address to went through yellow pages/directory enquiries to find me!

Bless.

:shock:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE