Swag Pros and cons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
Just got back from Australia and Swags are a common sight in the camping and surplus shops. I find something about the heavy (oiled?) canvas construction appealing. Apart from the weight disadvantage, what are the pros and and cons - particularly if used in the British climate with an Airic/Thermarest rather than the thick foam?

With regard to the proofing - how long does proofing last and how would one re-proof? How does such the canvas compare to goretex in terms of special cleaning regimes and so on? Is there anything special about the canvas, what is it waterproofed with and can it still breathe after?

Some Swags have hoops and look like 1 man tents but others are loose - does the canvas wick water over you where it touches?

Many thanks for any information and recommendations

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Dunno mate - never used one as such, but if I'm operating from a vehicle, I've used a bivi bag + Thermarest + sleeping bag combination and just rolled the whole lot up like a swag in the morning with a couple of straps.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
They look interesting, but wonder if you'd still be better off with a hooped bivi, given the amount of rain we tend to get.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
Thanks all.

With regard to the hooped Bivi, some of the Swags, (biker Swags and 'Mitchell' on the mrswagman site) seem quite similar. The only major difference can see is the construction material I.e. canvas as opposed to nylon or goretex.

I used to have an old canvas army tent from the 'fifties. weighed a ton and was very dark inside. Maybe the thickness keeps the heat out in hot countries...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE